[Weird Issue] My graphics card turns off after running at full (or at least near) performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2018
Hey all,

I have a 2016 Razer Blade with a Nvidia 970M dedicated GPU. The card and CPU are in great condition and have been repasted twice with Arctic Silver 5.

Within the last week, however, I have been having a major issue with the card. Whenever I start up a game, within the first 10 mins of me playing it, the game will freeze and I will end up either having to close it or force shut down my computer (it depends on the game). What's weirder is when I do close the game, the GPU cannot be used anymore. It is still detected in device manager, but when I try to stress test it, it doesn't work.

I haven't done anything to the PC within that week, and I even reset windows to no avail.

Here is my question, the only thing I can see causing this right now for me is my charger. The cord is VERY frayed (I can see the actual wires) but I am hesitant to buy another charger (as they are expensive) until I am sure that is the problem.

Do y'all think that could be the problem, or is it something else? Has anyone ever experienced this issue before?

Thank you, and sorry for the long post.

Romanio0089

Commendable
Sep 22, 2019
Have you tried running temperature monitoring software to see what temps the GPU is reaching? Sounds like overheating.
Yeah it's probably overheating. Maybe, you haven't checked into the fan assembly because most dust is hidden in there. Make sure there is no dust covering heatsink fins and make sure there is none inside the heatsink itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.