Weird line on screen

debesis

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hello. my firne got some problem. on his laptop screen few days ago (laptop is 2 years old) apeared some strange line, which would strech across the screen. and it doesnt disapear. it becomes longer. laptop is toshiba satellite l300-18e. it has windows xp instaled. previously had Vista

heres a screen of this weird line (im thinking it has something to do with video card? or monitor itself)

21112010456.jpg

thank you for your ansvers

G

If this is not part of the background image and appears on all applications you load (web, games etc), then I'd say these are dead pixels on the screen.

I heard a case of faulty nvidia GPU from 2 years ago (8600 series?), but i doubt you have that.

debesis

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
If this is not part of the background image and appears on all applications you load (web, games etc), then I'd say these are dead pixels on the screen.

I heard a case of faulty nvidia GPU from 2 years ago (8600 series?), but i doubt you have that.

Hi. im not sure what GPU he has. but he said it apears on all windows (like when browsing, playing). So its dead pixels on screen? any way to fix that and what causes that? a dying video card? thank you for an ansver

G

You don't know what GPU you have?! That's not a good start.

You have to take the laptop to a repair shop or the manufacturer, coz a technician needs to open it up and replace the LCD.

debesis

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
You don't what GPU you have?! That's not a good start.

You have to take the laptop to a repair shop or the manufacturer, coz a technician needs to open it up and replace the LCD.

i wrote in a first post that its not my laptop. its my firend's its toshiba satellite l300-18e

so are you sayng its a video card problem or LCD?

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
If the size and position of the apparently dead pixels change when you change the display resolution in the control panel display applet then I would suspect video graphics chip or its dedicated graphics memory. If the size and location of the dead pixels don't change then I would suspect the LCD panel itself is faulty.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Dead pixels for sure, Your best hope is trying to rub them gently with the back of a marker or any other object with a rounded smooth surface, but be careful because this might cause even more dead pixels!
But also there is another -safer- method that uses a software to cure the dead pixels.

For more details check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1PZUDuXJU

The other method (software) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_3Emkmpto

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

nice, software: udpixel worked wonders for me :)

debesis

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

thank you very much for your ansver. i will try this method and will let you know