Westinghouse TV Blinking Blue Screen, Doesn't Turn On

amccab3

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
I've hit my wall with this problem. I have a relatively old Westinghouse 46" (4 years old) that was generally working fine until we had a particular bad storm that included a power surge (foolishly, my tv was not properly connected to a surge protector at the time). Since then, the tv will not power on. The red status light shows that it receives power, but the remote and power buttons do not do anything.

I have taken the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Leave it unplugged for several hours - several days. Hold the power button for 60 seconds (read somewhere that this does a reset). UNSUCCESSFUL
2. Replaced power supply board. No change. UNSUCCESSFUL
3. Replaced main board - Power button now works, status light changes from red to blue. However, screen just flashes blue every second or so until I turn it off. Also note that the tv screen flashes blue 4 times when first plugged in. Once I turn the power on, the flashing screen continues until turned off.

I feel as though I've made some progress but I'm not sure what the next step would be. I'm not terribly savvy with electronics, so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot from this point. The replacement boards are definitely the right ones, identical to the previous boards. I didn't notice any damage on either original board (i.e. capacitors blown or burnt marks) but I may not know what I'm looking for. My next thought is to change out the electrical plug itself (cable between outlet and power supply board). I could also need to change out the control board (if I'm thinking of the right thing) but I don't want to go any further without some advice.

So just to summarize:

Westinghouse (DW46F1Y1)
4 years old
Stopped working after power surge
Replaced power supply board + main board
Status light changes from red to blue when power button is held
Screen blinks 4 times (blue) when plugged in and continues blinking when status light is blue (1 blink per second)

Next step?

Thanks so much for your help!

Solution
Changing the power cord isn't going to do anything. If it were bad the TV would not have any lights or react to any buttons.
You could try contacting Westinghouse. I have gotten response from them in the past.
and you can check with
www.shopjimmy.com
They sell replacement boards and are very helpful.
Changing the power cord isn't going to do anything. If it were bad the TV would not have any lights or react to any buttons.
You could try contacting Westinghouse. I have gotten response from them in the past.
and you can check with
www.shopjimmy.com
They sell replacement boards and are very helpful.

Solution

amccab3

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Americanaudiophile thank you for the response. That makes sense about the power cord. I'll also reach out to Westinghouse. Any other thoughts are also appreciated