Wharfedale diamond 220 HCP. Denon X520BT is enough?

RedRvn

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015
Hi, I am aiming to buy a Wharfedale Diamond 220 HCP, I read a lot of good about it, and I heard them once and I liked it. Mostly it is said that Denon receivers are very compatible with wharfedale speakers in general. For my budget I found the Denon X520BT, also with good reviews.
Is it enough for the above set? Or do you suggest something else?

For you to know, I live in Eastern-Europe, so I have limitations what I can buy. Furthermore for this year I only have the budget to buy only the stereo speakers, and next year the rest of the set.

If the receiver cannot handle well the set, should I may buy a cheaper set? But then I do not know what.

Thank you for your help in advance.

The Wharfedale speakers are rated for up to 70 watts so the Denon would be powerful enough but the speakers are also rated at 4.1 ohms. The Denon is only rated down to 6 ohms so it might not be as happy with the speakers as say a Marantz or Cambridge receiver.
That receiver is an AV surround sound receiver. If you are only getting 2 speakers and are not interested in surround sound you will get better sound and value from a 2 channel stereo receiver or integrated amplifier such as Cambridge or Marantz.
A lot of good used equipment is out there too that would work well with the Wharfedales. Stereo receivers don't become obsolete like surround receivers because of changes in video connections and surround sound codecs so a used one can be good value.

RedRvn

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015

Thank you for the answer.

I am interested in 5.1 sorround sound, I just dont have the money for the whole set this year. So the big plan is to buy only the stereo speakers first with AV receiver, because as the Denon tests say, it has good performance also in stereo compared to its price.
And then next year I would like to buy the sorround speakers: Diamond 220 or 210, and the center: Diamond 220c. The subwoofer will be maybe a JBL, or another good thing for a good price.

So I need to buy an AV receiver and not a stereo one, and I like the 4K HDMI compatibility of X520BT. But if they cannot work together with the speakers I may have to sacrifice either the Diamond speakers or the receiver and buy something else for almost the same price. I would appriciate any suggestion.

RedRvn

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015

What does this mean? Overheating problems would come up, or will the sound be ruined?
For nominal impedance in the speaker specs there is 8 ohms compatible, but also there the minimum 4,1 ohms as you said. I do not know the difference. Based on the sound it will change? So sometimes it is 8 ohms, sometimes only 4.1 ohms?

Thank you.
And sorry for the bad english.

The impedance of a speaker (usually given in ohms) changes with frequency. Wharfedale rates it a a "nominal" 8 ohms but with a low of 4.1 ohms. If you got a receiver that was rated for 4 ohms it would give you better sound quality and be safer for the speaker.
Since the speaker is 8 ohm nominal the dip is probably in the treble range which would make the speaker sound a bit more fuzzy and unclear because the amp isn't really able to supply enough current.
Overheating would probably not occur but the amp running out of power in the treble can damage the tweeter over time.
Visit a local shop that has the Wharfedales and listen to them with different receivers if you can. Using your ears to select audio equipment is far superior to just checking reviews.