What amp do I need for this speaker?

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015
I want to buy Wharfedales Diamond 225's, however I do not know how to chose and amp.. I dont know what is the difference between the higher and lower priced amps, because I want to spend about 100-150, and I want to know what kind of quality will i be getting at this price range, and what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Solution
The speakers you have are rated 120w rms maximum . That means the maximum power these speakers can handle is 120w . So if you had an amplifier which gives 150w rms per channel and turned it to max it would probably blow the speakers. So for safety i suggested you find an amplifier with a max rating of 100 w rms which will give you plenty power but not damage the speakers. The speakers are 8ohm so you would need a 8ohm amplifier to match them. This value is the speakers impedience (the resistance of current at the speaker). if you use an amplifier with different ohm to speakers ohm it can damage the amp.
In your price requirements a good stereo amp that would match those speakers is the PIONEER A10 AMPLIFIER . Because of the...

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Amp needs to be 8ohm and around but not more than 100w rms . The speakers are Biwireable so thats an option to look for too.
If your just wanting it for a pair of speakers it needs to be stereo . If your planning on using it as a surround sound system then you would look for an AV/Reciever type. Different brands offer different specs and prices . What is the primary use for the amp ? tv? pc? music?

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

i am going to be using them with my pc, just for all kind of stuff, but mainly for listening to music. I dont understand the 8ohm and100w rms.... and neither do i know what bewaring means :/ . I dont have any experience with speakers but i do want to get good experience from these speakers and i dont want to spend too much money on the amp. ill use them only stereo, not planning on going surround sound any time soon

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
The speakers you have are rated 120w rms maximum . That means the maximum power these speakers can handle is 120w . So if you had an amplifier which gives 150w rms per channel and turned it to max it would probably blow the speakers. So for safety i suggested you find an amplifier with a max rating of 100 w rms which will give you plenty power but not damage the speakers. The speakers are 8ohm so you would need a 8ohm amplifier to match them. This value is the speakers impedience (the resistance of current at the speaker). if you use an amplifier with different ohm to speakers ohm it can damage the amp.
In your price requirements a good stereo amp that would match those speakers is the PIONEER A10 AMPLIFIER . Because of the brand the quality will be high . It has a fair bit of power enough to drive those speakers but not nearly enough to blow them .

Solution
100-150 what? Euros?
I suspect that at this price range your best bet would be to find a used stereo receiver or integrated amplifier. You could also get a Lepai or other digital amplifier. These are not power rated the same way a stereo receiver is so they usually exaggerate the amount of power.
Don't worry too much about the 8 ohms. Any receiver or amp will handle 8 ohms fine. Wharfedale suggests 25-125 watts per channel. More power means louder max volume but not higher quality of sound. If your room is small and or you are close to the speakers then you can go for the lower end of the range for power.

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

i will use them close to me, in a small room. However I do want to spend as little as possible while not risking or affecting the quality. If possible can you give me a couple of more options for the amp, i really dont care about the brand name or something of that like, i just want to be able to power these and save as much money as i can. Afterall im just 16 so i dont earn money, so i dont want to spend a fortune :)

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

why is this being said? and what would i be missing out by not going with the pioneer? also i dont think that that brand is available to me

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
https://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/pioneer/a10/pion-a10-blk

Have a look at this .This is the one i mentioned earlier.
Is this the sort of thing your thinking of?

http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Koda-1305-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Amplifier-AUX-280W-RMS-White_i11425.htm

This one is within budget seems to cover all your bases .looks ok too

The first one is a quality amp from a good brand and has high spec components and better sound quality but costs more.
The second one is from a lesser brand and quality wise its a risk but it is cheap and claims to tick your boxes.

Good luck choosing one,I hope you find the right one.

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

the pioneer one is 180 euros here, that cheap amp is also not available to me ://

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

i havent, i just feel sketchy and scared to buy used stuff... idk how to feel about buying anything used, i mean why would anyone sell it if it good? so i have a feeling that something is wrong with it.. idk

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
I think you should repost this topic again fresh and see if there is anyone else who can help. I tried but i don't think I can solve this .
I do hope you find an Amp and enjoy your Music .