What audio interface should I buy for mic setup.

Intel Fanboy 772

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
Hello all, I am quite new to audio recording in general, but I had done some gaming videos before, I am planning to return to that and I want to have OK audio to start with. Generally I used to use audacity to record some noise and then use noise removal, because with gain all up mic is picking lots of it.
I currently have some old unbranded condenser microphone what has XLR to 3.15mm cable what I can technically connect right to pc, but volume on that is quite low due to no phantom power I guess and as said very nosiy.
I am considering to buy one of that semi cheap mics like bm-800, 700 or nw-800, as far as I know they are phantom powered. So I decided to go one step further than just buying phantom power supply, I decided to go for some cheap mixer as it can bu more useful in future.
As of now I dont have any instruments ether, but I may go for some sound board / guitar or something some time in future.
I have few options (from local music store):
1) BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2 for 39 Euros from local store
2) BEHRINGER XENYX 302 USB for 56 Euros from local store
3) BEHRINGER XENYX 502 for 43 Euros from local store
4) BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC22 for 49 Euros from local store
5) Some cheap phantom power supply for ~15 euros from ebay/aliexpress

What should I get ? 502 seems more advanced than 302, but it is cheaper, I like that 302 has some more controls over low and high end, um2 seems to be cheapest audio interface with XLR I could find.

With of above options should I go for ? I personally like 302, but it is more expensive, not sure it is worth it. Maybe um2 is fine ?

Solution

Well, to be fair I wouldn't call them "far superior", but...

serge44

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Well, I've had great results with Focusrite. Do they have them available at your local store? I like the fact that you'd like to buy local, but if they don't have them available, online you'll surely find it. This is what I would get in your place:

https://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-solo

For the immediate required usage you're needing, you'll get a great quality mic preamp with phantom power with hot level indicator, but you'll also get another analog line/inst input, 192khz/24bit audio interface with ASIO drivers.

If you find it too expensive, you could try getting a used interface, similar to what I'm suggesting. There are plenty. What I definitely wouldn't do, is get the cheap phantom power supply from eBay/Aliexpress.

Intel Fanboy 772

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
I had looked at Focusrite , sadly it starts from around 100 euros what is bit too much for my budget and from ebay used ones combined with shipping are about same maybe 10 less. I have heard some good things about BEHRINGER ones, they are good for price, but as far as I know thy dont provide full phantom power.

serge44

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

The XENYX ones don't, since they're more mixers than audio interfaces, but both the UM2 and the UMC22 you listed do. That being said, mic preamp quality, latency (They use ASIO4ALL instead of dedicated ASIO drivers) and audio resolution (only 48Khz, vs 192Khz) are inferior than the Scarlett I mentioned, but if you're OK with that for the intended usage you want, I would get one of those.

Intel Fanboy 772

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

Yea I think I better go for one of them then, I did some research, and it seems they are generally the same, just different preamp and general build quality.
Supposedly UM2 has Xenyx premaps and UMC22 have MIDAS (midas designed) what as I understand is far superior than Xenyx ?

serge44

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Well, to be fair I wouldn't call them "far superior", but they are indeed better built. If I recall correctly, Midas was bought by the company that owns Behringer and acquired their technology, that's why it's "Midas designed". But the thing is that when it comes to preamps, lots of it relies on the desired usage and user preference. Some are brighter, some are more comfortable being high-driven, etc. And you only can know this when you try them yourself. That said, neither of these interfaces will provide studio-quality recordings to be used professionally in a record and all that, but for what you want (using your condenser mic for gaming videos), either of them will suit you perfectly and will be a massive improvement vs what you are doing now. If you can afford the UMC22, that's what I would get, but the UM2 will suffice as well. You shouldn't be needing to use any kind of noise removal in post if all goes right. Good luck!

Solution

Intel Fanboy 772

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
Thank you for your answers, it was nice information to have. I agree I do not need any studio quality yet, I think I will go for UMC22 as it is slightly better build quality and in overall. I can do basic stuff I need and has some room for improvement also.