What is the best speaker mount for plaster walls?

Jul 28, 2015
I have four Klipsch R-14M, but do not know the best way to hang them on my walls, which are plaster. I finally upgraded from the terrible Insignia speakers that I used as a temporary replacement for the Yamaha speakers that stopped working after four years of use. Both the Insignia and Yamaha had been lightweight so I had been using a nail to hang them on the wall. But the Klipsch are heavy, at least eight pounds. I will have to use a mount, but can't figure out what will work best. I'm not going to pay a lot either, so $35 per mount will not work for me. I can't spend a lot because I replaced my center speaker and subwoofer, and my front left and right speakers a few months ago with Klipsch, which are expensive.

Solution
This discussion -- http://www.contractortalk.com/f49/when-did-drywall-come-into-common-use-124105/ would say you probably have gypsum board rather than wooden lath plaster if your house was 1965.

The R-14M are spec'ed to be 7.2 lbs each. A stand of some kind is probably another 5 and will move the center of mass on the speakers away from the wall. I would use hangers rated for about 50lbs to ensure safety. There are self-tapping drywall anchors that are rated for 50 or 75 lbs. You may be able to put a screw into a stud.

kanewolf

Judicious
When you say plaster, do you mean old style plaster with wooden lath underneath or modern gypsum board?

Those speakers have a port on the back. I don't think you want them tight to the wall. It doesn't look like there are any obvious mounting points on the speakers themselves so you will have to purchase some kind of mount. If you don't like the $35 mounts on Amazon, I don't know what you will use.

Jul 28, 2015

The home was built in 1965, so it's old plaster. And the $35 on amazon are not the only ones, which is why I was asking which was the best. Best buy has a few different mounts to chose from also.

Jul 28, 2015

Just because they are called 'bookshelf' speakers do not mean they are meant to go on bookshelves. The term applies to the fact that they are small and not meant to be placed on a floor. Usually, they cannot produce large amounts of low bass. They are either mounted on a wall, placed on a stand, or mounted on the ceiling(for those who have a small space and little room). They have to be close to the wall because it helps amplify the bass. Most people place them on a stand or mount them because it allows you to put them at any height(in the case of mounting) and put them close to the wall. Not everyone is going to put a bookshelf or table in every corner of their room just for speakers. You may have a couch in the way or a tall cabinet. Most speaker manufacturers encourage using stands or wall mounting for all of their bookshelf and center speakers.

kanewolf

Judicious
This discussion -- http://www.contractortalk.com/f49/when-did-drywall-come-into-common-use-124105/ would say you probably have gypsum board rather than wooden lath plaster if your house was 1965.

The R-14M are spec'ed to be 7.2 lbs each. A stand of some kind is probably another 5 and will move the center of mass on the speakers away from the wall. I would use hangers rated for about 50lbs to ensure safety. There are self-tapping drywall anchors that are rated for 50 or 75 lbs. You may be able to put a screw into a stud.

Solution