What is the difference between Asus ROG G501 and ZB Pro UX501?

Mortis Angelus

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
Hello,

Due to moving to a more cramped apartment, I don't think I can bring my desktop computer. Thus I've been looking into gaming laptops.

I'm a bit picky in the sense that I want mobility and thinness along with some performance. So that left me stopping by at Asus where I found these models:

The ROG G501 (http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G501JW/overview/) and the Zenbook Pro UX501 (http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ZenBook_Pro_UX501/)

Now I wonder: What is the difference between these models? And now I'm not talking about the obvious differences found in the specs-chart and the aluminium body vs non-aluminium. I'm wondering about component quality, cooling systems keyboard-feel, panel quality and stuff like that

ROG is known for having high-durability components and all those goodies, but Zenbook Pro is also their highest line in business class laptops which also should have very durable components.

Do the ROG feature better cooling?

Sub-questions regarding the GTX 960M, which both models feature:

1) Can the 960M really utilize 4GB VRAM or is that just an unnecessary upgrade (taking into consideration aslo hooking up to an external monitor like my current Dell U2711 1440p monitor)?

2) My current desktop features an old Radeon 6870 DirectCU TOP (no OC) - is the 960M a upgrade or downgrade in terms of performance? As long as I can play the current game my Radon manages with the 960M I'm happy. Any upgrade in performance is a plus.

Finally: Any suggestions for some other option from other brands are welcome, but 15-inch models ONLY.

Mortis Angelus

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

Hey, thanks for the answer. I've lost my trust in GPUboss website. It's too inaccurate for comparisons.

I actually found the GS60 Ghost pro 2QE after posting this question, and right now that one seems like a better option. Any opinion on that one?

I personally would go with the asus rog model as the zenbook range is built for portability and prestige rather than gaming. As for if it is better than the ghost, I am not sure as I haven't used one. Keep in mind that this laptop will be thin which means a very loud and hot laptop which msi are known for.

neek13

Estimable
May 5, 2015
As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same. The differences between them:
- They are not of the same color theme
- The UX501 has a touchscreen option.
- The UX501 has a Windows 8.1 Pro version

I have seen many model online already for both, and depending on the country the same spec options are available for both:
- 2G/4G VRAM
- 512GB PCIe SSD
- 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Mortis Angelus

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
Too bad I could not choose two replies as my favorite answers, but both Velo3100 and Neek13 are right and my preferred answer closely followed by i7Baby.

I had totally forgotten about this question here, so sorry for the late reply. But as of this moment, I've decided for the MSI GS60 2QE Ghost Pro FHD version, unless Asus realizes it should add a GTX970M to their ROG G501 instead (which would also create a difference to the UX501) or make a G502. If so, I would go for Asus. But at least based on benchmarks and reviews there is so much difference between the 960M and 970M.

hst101rox

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014

Who knows if the heatsinks are better and/or if the 2 fans are different model, moves more air than the UX501 laptop or if the fan speed map is different. Conjecture