What smart tv would you consider buying?

nimzy8849

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Instead of asking what the best tv is I realized that it all boils down to preferences and it felt inappropriate to use that phrase. If you could write down your preferred tv here it would be very much appreciated. I'm expecting some money by the last quarter and I'm thinking of buying a gift for myself. It's been ages since the last time I bought a TV and at that time when you say TV you'd automatically think of Sony. But now there are more brands like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba etc.

yang0409

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
How much money are we talking about? What is the size that you like? If you could add more information then I guess you would receive more and better recommendations. I agree when you said that the word tv is tantamount with the brand name Sony. Unfortunately, that was before. Now, when you say TV people would think about Samsung. The downside is its popularity made it pricey. I've seen and tried a couple of LGs and I am impressed with its performance and affordability. I used to have a Panasonic and I never had any complaints about it. I'm not sure with their newer models though but I heard it's not as good as before.

nimzy8849

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I didn't realize that I forgot those important details. Blame it to the old age. I want to have 47 to 55 inches and budget is from 1000 to 1500. I can stretch it to 1700 at the most

watchman2012

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

we are facing a similar problem. I am about to buy a TV too but I narrowed my choices down to LG, just a little confused with its different models. If you are interested in LG LM9600, you may find my thread useful. (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58244-4-smart-lm9600)

sakun

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I think the only way for you to be fully satisfied with a TV is if you check them out in person and buy something you really like. If you want a little guidance to help you get there, consider brands like Panasonic, LG, and Sony.

yang0409

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
With this budget you can get a 55 inch Sony KDL55EX640 but it's just like their entry level tv. Wifi is not even built in. Hmmm… With other brands, all their models for this year have built in Wifi. Another option you may want to consider is to get a 47 inch LG LM8600. It's within your budget and it's among the high end tvs of LG for this year.

manunited619

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I prefer one of the LG models. Are you interested in 3D tvs by any chance? If you are, I recommend one from LG. They also offer 2D to 3D conversions so you can switch back and forth whenever you want. The LG 3D tv sets are passive and a lot better than the active sets Samsung and some of the other brands offer. Active sets require heavy battery charged glasses that can often lead to fatigue ): But the passive glasses are like sunglasses! A lot cheaper too. If you're interested in gaming, the dual play LG 3D tvs offer are pretty cool. It allows two people to see two different images on one screen.