What software do I need to get my PC to play TrueHD or the equivalent DTS?

jessek12

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
My current set up is:
Audio is being outputted from my PC (Asrock Extreme 4 b3) using the onboard audio chip. I have a S/PDIF connection going from the optical port on the motherboard to the optical on my Pioneer VSX-517 A/V receiver. I'm using Realtek HD Audio Drive version 6.0.1.6699. Here's two pictures of my Realtek UI and Windows Playback Devices UI.
Link: http://imgur.com/a/F3Fvz#3God9TT
F3Fvz

One thing that stumps me is that if I go under the 'Supported Formats' tab in properties and test Dolby Digital and DTS they work for the two back channels but when I try and play a 5.1 audio file it does not. My receiver is displaying PCM 96 and says it's decoding Dolby Pro Logic II. Am I missing software on my PC? Do I need Dolby Digitial Atmos or Live or Plus or a similar software for this to work?

Using the S/PDIF solution, it is pretty much a pass through of a digital signal. SO the AVR does all of the surround processing. It's a matter of configuring the Windows and realtek options. Also, just so you know, S/pdif isn't the best choice for surround since it can only send 2.1 uncompressed audio so it isn't true/discreet surround. If your just using S/PDIF for music, then it's fine. S/PDIF can't do Dolby True HD or DTS HD. Analog, HDMI and Display Port can do 5.1/7.1 true/discreet surround True HD and DTS HD.

You do have a saving grace, your motherboard(outputs) and AVR(inputs) have 5.1 analog outputs and inputs which can deliver true/discreet 5.1.

For audio 2.0(stereo), you have to use the AVR to fill the speakers to a get a simulated surround.

Your receiver supports regular DTS and Dolby but it doesn't support Dolby True HD or DTS HD so that won't happen.

Here is a link for the manual in case if you haven't read it. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../468833420VSX517OperatingInstructions0716.pdf

I hope that answered some questions and gave you some ideas.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

jessek12

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I found out the one thing I was missing was the passthrough. I set it up with MPC and used the AC3 filter to pass it through to the receiver and heard Double-D for the first time on my AVR! Now how would I go about setting it up with Netflix? Do I need to encode the audio files on my PC for that?

jessek12

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
How do I passthrough the audio then to my AVR from Netflix and other internet sources so that my sound card on my PC doesn't decode it and output it as a stereo source?

If I remember correctly, NetFlix uses Dolby Digital Plus for 5.1. Your pc sound chip is using Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec. The pc chip(S/PDIF) should be just passing through the signal but your AVR doesn't have Dolby Digital Plus for 5.1. I use a Outlaw Audio 975 surround processor that has all the modern and older surround formats. . So it could be the problem that t...t to 5.1 but it's still simulated surround.

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
Why can't a PC do the encoding that a AVR can?
If you have a Blu-Ray player in your PC... it seems it should have
a Sound card capable of being a all inclusive and updatable encoder/pre-amp.

Yes you could but is not desirable.

1. Because an AVR usually have more codec.
2. If you decode via PC, then the DtoA conversion occurs within the noisy PC, is preferable to keep things digital until it gets "outside."
3. IF you decode via PC, you must hook up individual analog cables to your AVR ASSUMING receiver has discreet 5.1 channels input which not every AV receiver do. Letting AVR do the decoding is a single Toslink/HDMI cable PC to AVR.

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015

I am currently running sperate Analog cables out of PC to TWO sperate 2.0 recivers... Getting Quad.
I'm not sure why 5.1 doesn't show up in Realtek anymore... because if it did I would run yet another reciver to power Sub! LOL
This is my gaming PC

But for my "Entertianment PC" I have this old Bose Lifestl28 II (Non HDMI) and I am pulling my hair out...
Trying to get 5.1 from my PC

I believe I am doing the best I can with my Blu-Ray player (S/PDIF Optical to Bose?) Is this the best way?