what software should i get???

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
i have some questions on different software types...

which anti virus is best for a combo of low cpu usage and protection in this link? http://www.msy.com.au/wa/balcatta/240-internet-security

im looking for fan control and temperature monitor software, so I can control as many fans on my build as possible... this is my build (important components only)

gigabyte h97 gaming 3 intel
i5 4690 cpu
win/8.1
gigabyte r9 280
Thermaltake Pure12 120mm Black Case Fan 3 pin
Coolermaster Jetflo 120mm Blue LED Case Fan 4 pin
thermaltake a31 chassis (vomes with two fans)
Antec 620 watt high current gamer psu.

I believe oc guru 2 will cover most of there fans but I would like to know which ones I cant control and how I could control them.

also are there any other software that I should get (im finding it hard to navigate gigabytes software page so if you could get me the direct link...)

thankyou If you could help :)

Solution
As for the fans, I can't help ya with the Gigabyte or H series MoBos..... Asus enthusiast / gaming boards come with FanXpert3 which does an astounding job of controlling ya fans. I would guess you have some limited control in your BIOS. SpeedFan is an option but as the MoBo manufactures produce more and more sophisticated stuff, SF seems to produce less and less board profiles.

If you prefer manual control, this controller is nice as can be put behind a case door and can control 6 fans and read 6 temperatures.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36265
Kapersky and Bit Defender both get 6.0 outta 6.0 on protection and 5.5 / 6.0 on performance impact. You can also bu Kaersky thru the ZonaAlarm folks who package Kapersky AV in their security suite and it's a bit cheaper than going direct to Kapersky.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

Click on ALL, the order by Protection at the top of the column

TrendMicro also did very well but I find their program a bit invasive.

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

thanks for the reply. why would you say trend micro was invasive?

Can't say if it's still as problematic but over the years I have had a 3 - 4 arrive here on my workbench with a similar problem. 1st machines arrived with TrendMicro on it and a note "CPU at 100% 24/7". Seen that be caused by numerous issues, including infections but in had seen expired AV programs cause this effect in the past so looked there 1st.....

Killing the exe file via Task Manager brought CPU usage down to normal levels. Again, had seen this previously w/ Symmantec and McAfee where users reported it started soon after their paid for subscription expired.

Program uninstall wouldn't work, so I tries reinstalling first. I manually removed TrendMicro folder and cleaned the registry (took a few passes) and problem went away.

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

thanks for warning me :) do you know anything on my fan/temperature control query?

As for the fans, I can't help ya with the Gigabyte or H series MoBos..... Asus enthusiast / gaming boards come with FanXpert3 which does an astounding job of controlling ya fans. I would guess you have some limited control in your BIOS. SpeedFan is an option but as the MoBo manufactures produce more and more sophisticated stuff, SF seems to produce less and less board profiles.

If you prefer manual control, this controller is nice as can be put behind a case door and can control 6 fans and read 6 temperatures.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36265

Solution

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

that's annoying I guess I shoulda gotten the msi h97 instead, has better software and about the same price.

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
i have had some issues with speed fan. it is displaying the temps and fan speeds, but is not giving me the option the control them. why is this. i have looked at some forums and they seem to mention a temperature tab in the configure window. this is one of the reasons i displayed my mobo, as i am not sure if it supports speed control. thanks
edit: can i change fan speed of 3 pin, and is there any other specific 'thing' a fan must have to be able to be controlled. my a31 thermaltake case came with 2 fans but i cant find out if they are controllable.

2nd edit: i want it so my pc keeps a constant fan speed

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

did you abandon cause I asked what BIOS was? im a retard

I didn't abandon but I don't have a lot of free time so don't get in more than once or twice a week. I didn't see a question on BIOS but BIOS is the "Basic Input/Output System" which basically initializes / tests the hardware components tells your hardware how t communicate with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

Ability to control fans is usually a component of most BIOSs, the exception the lower end of the budget price segment where it is oft sacrificed to reduce costs.

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
sorry for being a bit bossy :( . ***i have had some issues with speed fan. it is displaying the temps and fan speeds, but is not giving me the option the control them. why is this. i have looked at some forums and they seem to mention a temperature tab in the configure window. this is one of the reasons i displayed my mobo, as i am not sure if it supports speed control. thanks
edit: can i change fan speed of 3 pin, and is there any other specific 'thing' a fan must have to be able to be controlled. my a31 thermaltake case came with 2 fans but i cant find out if they are controllable.

2nd edit: i want it so my pc keeps a constant fan speed***