What speaker is best for $60-$80 (maybe $100?)

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
I got a free fully functional Sony STR-GX800ES Stereo Receiver and saw that it included both a pre-amp and amp. I need to buy new speakers and want to buy some and use it for my computer as well as listening to music off of other devices. My current speakers are the Sony SRS-A3 PC speakers. My budget is around $60-80, $100 being max. Thanks in advance!

Solution

should be and are can be two different things... especially with the commodity/throw-away philosophy that has plagued everything. Some amps like the electrical characteristics of some speakers better than others too. (yeah, that's kind of cork-sniffer, but there is some truth to it.) Not all speakers are created equally (There are many differences in the speakers, electrically, physically, and sonically.) This is for New Speakers in...

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

I just want some stereo speakers. A full 5.1 system is out of the question due to size constraints.

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

Thanks! What about the used options I linked above? Which will sound better and will they work with my reciever?

The phillips are likely less then all the other options.

Otherwise they should be all in the same quality class of speakers. Since the used ones are not much cheaper then ones I linked on amazon I would go with the new ones just so you have warranty. No idea how beaten up the used ones are.

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

I'll try it

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

I'm going to go for the polk for the warranty, I hope the sound quality won't be a huge difference.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

should be and are can be two different things... especially with the commodity/throw-away philosophy that has plagued everything. Some amps like the electrical characteristics of some speakers better than others too. (yeah, that's kind of cork-sniffer, but there is some truth to it.) Not all speakers are created equally (There are many differences in the speakers, electrically, physically, and sonically.) This is for New Speakers in general, but it even applies to old (where surrounds may or may not need to be redone.)

Solution