What the Best 7.1 Speaker system?

torcator

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Hey guys, a couple of months ago I've bought a harman/kardon AVR 254.
I've been using my old speakers but right now I'd like to buy a new 7.1 speaker system.
What do you suggest me?

thanks in advance,
Ariel.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Possibly, but it won't be as good as the one I linked to. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the $999 system from my link above (the 5.1 with the PB10-NSD sub) would be an excellent choice. Even though it is only 5.1, it would actually sound better than a mediocre 7.1 setup, which is why I would recommend it.

Note: if you are in a larger room, or simply like a LOT of bass, the $150 upgrade to the 12" sub is well worth it. See here for a review that shows why I would recommend this setup so much.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
You can in fact get those.

They have 3.5" midrange drivers, rather than the 5.25" of the SVS. This means the main speakers will not extend as deep, and will be somewhat gutless by comparison. In addition, I would doubt if that sub is near the quality of the SVS PB10-ISD. Overall, that setup would be quite a bit worse. The 120Hz crossover would mean the subwoofer would have to take over frequencies up to 120Hz, which causes problems with localization (I.E. a 110Hz tone will be heard as coming from the corner of the room by the subwoofer, even if it is supposed to be centered), and besides which it is difficult for a subwoofer to hit tones that high without significant distortion.

Basically, you're quite a bit better off with a different system, preferably with midrange drivers >5" and capable of sub-100Hz extension (the SVS mains are good down to 68Hz for example).

Don't get me wrong - those speakers would sound fine. They just wouldn't sound nearly as good as the many better speakers out there.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I agree with you but at $400 less, you can't ignore that. So its not meant to compete with $1000 system. But if you get the PB12-NSD with the money you save then set the crossover of ASW-8 to 110 Hz.

One unit I can think of that'll compete with the SVS SB-01 system is the Aperion Audio Intimus 4B Harmony SD.

torcator

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Waw, first of all I'd like to thanks you for the great answers.

Then... let me tell you my problem and problably you'll be able to help me.
I'm really happy with my harman/kardon AVR 254... as far as I saw it's pretty good, but for me it has one big issue.
Even if it has 3 hdmi ports in and 1 out, all of them are 720p. so I have to connect the dvr and the xbox360 direct to tv and use the receiver only for audio.

Let's say that I'd like to change this.. what's the home theatre system do you suggest to buy, not only the speakers but also the receiver. And of course a receiver that allow me to use a HDMI 1080p.

thanks !!!

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Are you sure about that? Looking at the spec, it should be good for 1080p...

If it definitely isn't working right, one that is actually a bit cheaper than the AVR 254 was that would work great is the Denon AVR 689.

torcator

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
hmmm are you sure guys? because let me just give you an example.
when I try to connect the x360 no on the hdmi but the component it's ok.
but if I go system and configure to use 1080i it seams that it's not working.. so basically only process until 720p

do you think that is my receiver?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Yes.

Here's what came from the manual:

Video Adjustments
The AVR 254 uses leading-edge Faroudja DCDi Cinema video processing
technology, with incoming video upscaled to 1080p (up to 1080i
when component video outputs are used) for outstanding video quality,
even with older analog video sources. Faroudja DCDi Cinema’s Dual 3D
comb filters and 10-bit video processing eliminates the jagged edges
and moiré patterns seen with less advanced processing. Thanks to this
“Torino” video processing chip, on-screen graphics may be generated
in high definition, and blended with the incoming video. This not only
delivers crisp, clear information messages, it allows you to continue to
watch a program while making system adjustments.
The video processor automatically provides the best picture based on
the capabilities of your video display and the incoming source video
signals. However, you may experiment with the Video Modes menu
adjustments to try to improve the picture further.

Here's another one:

NOTES:
• Copy-protected sources are not available at the Component
Video Monitor Outputs.
• Standard and high-definition analog video signals are
upscaled to 1080i resolution for the Component Video
Monitor Outputs. For improved video performance, consider
upgrading to an HDMI-capable video display with 1080p
resolution.

So my understanding is that when playing game console (X-360) you can not upscale. Try a different source (not a game console) using the same connection type.

Read page 49 on your owners manual and if you're still having problem HK advice you to call them. DUE TO COMPLEXITY OF YOUR SYSTEM. :)

vjkesava93

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
hey
u did'nt say weather u r looking it for ur pc or ur home theater system.
if it's for ur pc try creative 7.1 giga works speakers , u will get the bang for ur buck. if u live out side USA or CANADA u can find theses good deals easily.

ps: sorry about my english

DanteLeblanc

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
If your budget is a couple thousand USD, what would be THE BEST WIRELESS 7.1 audio setup? For me it would be for both my PCs HDTVs. On my Alienware I have a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum Highdefinition 7.1 Audiocard. Again, I want THE BEST WIRELESS 7.1 audio setup that a few grand could buy.

Ellisbaudio

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
First ask yourself what the goal is. Understand that there is noting on any movie called 7.1 it is a derived sound so it is not original. Second if your screen is not 2 meters wide (6.7 feet or wider) then you can place the Left and right at center axis at 2 meters and you do not need a center channel speaker. What this does for you is two fold first you get muchh better sound because you have less confusion, and second you get better sound because you have more bucks to spend on the left and right plus the sub woofer. The rears are never right in a single normal home I have ever been in so they are not very important. Get the left and right really right and the SUB then the rear can be the affect that they were intended to be.

Brands that I find are good buys / and try to buy used ones as the deals get better / I find Polks and JBLs all the time for 25% of retail used. I no longer buy any thing new.

HOpe that helps focus on good speakers / left and right then the sub then the rears. Polks, JBL, Klipsch, are all good choices.

ellis baxter's audio
678-480-7840

myfagan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hello,
i am using a harman kardon avr 525.
first off i cant seem to get the 7.1 to work. ive been using the 5.1. help!! i am using a pair of IMF compacts that i got off of ebay for $300. Simply amazing speakers. i am debating using TOA 265 studio monitors for surrounds or JBL control 5 monitors. i have a BIC center and BIC f-12 sub (has to be best sub for money). any suggestions? email me at myfagan@yahoo.com

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have not personally seen any movies with 7.1. All the Dolby Digital TrueHD movies I own are 5.1 only. The same goes for DTS-Master although I think I have seen a 6.1 feed somewhere.

G

I have a questions regarding subwoofer speakers. can i connect audio out from my receiver to my Bose subwoofer speakers.

G

I could be wrong, but as I understand it 7.1 is really only produced in PC Gaming Applications, not for regular video surround sound. As it was once explained to me that there is no such thing as a movie producing sounds in anything greater than 5.1

G

you are 100 percent wrong there are lots of blu-ray movies in 7.1. toy story 3/ hell boy 2/ expendables/ rambo the new one/ just to name a few that I have and they sound better than 5.1