What things to look out for when buying used phones?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Im looking to buy a GS5 soon off craigslist. Ive had good experiences with buying from people on CL and I'm not really worried about being scammed or anything, but I just want to make sure what to look for, research, or ask about when buying the phone. Its easy to see whats wrong or damaged exterior-wise, and if you use the phone for a few minutes, you can see if its running too slow or has anything immediately wrong with it, but what about the smaller things in the software?

Since they are carrier unlocked, I can get a GSM carrier GS5, and I will get it activated with either Metro PCS or Virgin Mobile, but most likely Metro PCS.

I know the phones need to have a clean ESN / IMEI / MEID, but how can I check before buying the phone or right when I'm about to? Can I see on the phone by looking in the phone info or dialing some number? How do i check at all?

Im pretty sure there can also be malicious intents in selling the phone used. Like can someone install some hidden software or packages on the phone that lets them remotely see whats being done on the phone or have data sent to them or they can track it, or anything else like that? Ive heard that this is possible on iOS as long as the iDevice is jailbroken and the right packages are installed. Would a factory reset take care of any threats like that on Android?

What else should I know or consider when buying a used phone? What should I be wary about? I just want to buy a used GS5 on CL and I dont want to run into problems trying to get it signed up with a GSM carrier or later on when using it. My mom bought an unlocked (I believe they are all unlocked) GS5 online, new, and got it activated with Metro PCS with no problems, so there should be no problems getting it activated there as long as the phone is fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MetroPCS is a MVNO owned by T-Mobile, so a GSM phone will work with them.
Virgin is a MVNO owned by Sprint, so you'll need a CDMA phone to work with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Yes, MetroPCS and Virgin used to be independent carriers, but were bought by the Big Four who keep their brand names around just to capture part of the market which boycotts the Big Four. (Virgin doesn't let you use your own phone either - gotta buy it from them.)

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Thanks. That sucks, I thought Virgin allowed GSM and CDMA even though Sprint is CDMA. Also sucks that Virgin doesn't let you bring your own phone, IIRC, they used to let you bring your own a while back. Well I guess Virgin is out for me then, I really want GSM and you cant bring your own phone.

Still got the problem in OP though