what was the possible reason

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have a gmail account in which the user ID is nothing fancy or special or worth any money,
however, some years ago, I forget what happened exactly, it was used to register some
facebook and instagram account, I didn't know until I got the facebook notification with an
another weird language which wasn't my language or English.

I changed the password, connected with my main mobile number, however, I wasn't able to login
that facebook account connected with my email and changed that connected email because facebook
required me to provide passport details on login.

In fact, I totally understand that it was because my password was not very complicated, not very simple though. That might make somebody break into my gmail.

However, why did they need to do this? While I can 100% make sure that my gmail ID is nothing special,
it is't peter@ or tom@ or jerry@ it's just like my username here, nothing special.

Why did they waste the time breaking into my email while they didn't register a free one for themselves?
I think google would lock them or suspend them for a period of time after a several failed login. How
was they that lucky to successfully log into my account

I am not an advanced user but I wasn't so stupid and I very rarely used public PC and I always deleted cache, passwords, saved form, everything or logged with private browsing.

What was the possible reason?

They didn't break into your gmail account. They registered a new account on Facebook/Instagram, and made a typo in the email address. So your gmail account got registered as the email address of record, instead of theirs. And you got the account notifications instead of them.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

If they made a typo, I wonder how they could activate their facebook or instagram account??

The fact is , when I tried to log onto facebook with my gmail account they required me to provide passport details....

I have never provided any passport or identification to any social network service.

then go on facebook and gmail and reset to a new password but dont use the same for both also do you have another recovery e-mail in case something goes wrong so these site could send you a message how to restore your account use this e-mail only for this a security option and get a password in it that is not leading to any of those site .