What would happen if a lower wattage was used than the minimum?

MinecraftKid45

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
I have this Mini PCIe to PCIe adapter for my laptop, though, everytime I turn it on, there is just a black screen.

Is this the cause of the PSU only being 300w?
I am asking because I don't want to go buy a new PSU and that not be the issue.
Thanks!

The GPU I am referring to is a EVGA GTX 950

Solution
The EVGA 950 requires additional power via 8-pin or 6-pin PCIe cable from desktop PC type PSU, laptops do not have such a cable so any card requiring additional power won't work on a laptop - - the PCIe slot alone cannot provide enough power to drive the card, hence the black screen.

Buying a higher-wattage power brick for your laptop will make no difference as the required auxiliary power cable for the graphics card would still be absent.

The bottom line is, that graphics card model is strictly for a desktop PC only.
You can install only the less powerful graphics cards which don't require auxiliary power.
The EVGA 950 requires additional power via 8-pin or 6-pin PCIe cable from desktop PC type PSU, laptops do not have such a cable so any card requiring additional power won't work on a laptop - - the PCIe slot alone cannot provide enough power to drive the card, hence the black screen.

Buying a higher-wattage power brick for your laptop will make no difference as the required auxiliary power cable for the graphics card would still be absent.

The bottom line is, that graphics card model is strictly for a desktop PC only.
You can install only the less powerful graphics cards which don't require auxiliary power.

Solution