What would I need to go with a passive speaker?

Apr 23, 2018
Hi, I recently purchased a KRK Rokit R6 G3 Passive Studio Monitor that I would like to connect to my computer to help with music listening and production but I am unsure on what amplifier would be suitable for the monitor.

Will an amplifier be the only thing that I would need to purchase to be able to use my studio monitor is there anything else I should purchase also?

Any recommendations for an amplifier or any other pieces of equipment would be great!

~Edit: Or will it be easier for me to return this speaker and purchase the active version of this monitor?

Thanks

Solution
According to the site, it's rated for 50W – 150W RMS @ 4 ohms using banana connectors.

Amps range in price from 70 bucks and go up to 500 and beyond. Depends on what your needs are.

IMHO, I'd get the active version unless you really know what you want in an amp.

Also have you thought about a Preamp DA? I'd recommend one that will accept natively from a USB source so that it's purely in the digital domain before it goes back out the preamp; specifically one that will handle 24bit audio too.

http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=maiapre&cat=boxes&lang=en

That one goes for about $499

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
According to the site, it's rated for 50W – 150W RMS @ 4 ohms using banana connectors.

Amps range in price from 70 bucks and go up to 500 and beyond. Depends on what your needs are.

IMHO, I'd get the active version unless you really know what you want in an amp.

Also have you thought about a Preamp DA? I'd recommend one that will accept natively from a USB source so that it's purely in the digital domain before it goes back out the preamp; specifically one that will handle 24bit audio too.

http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=maiapre&cat=boxes&lang=en

That one goes for about $499

Solution
Apr 23, 2018

Honestly, I don't know enough on what amp I am looking for with a passive monitor and will be looking to get an active studio monitor instead.

Is there anything that I would have to buy with an active monitor or should it come together with the monitor itself?

Thanks for the advice so far.

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018

KRK ROKIT 6 G3 = Active
KRK R6 Monitor = Passive.

Just to clarify - The difference between Active and Passive is that with Active, it includes the amplifier and just needs to be sourced from a pre-amp and plugged into an AC outlet (for each speaker). With a Passive, you must provide your own amp to drive the actual speaker coil.

As for anything else? I mean, you'll need RCA cables (for Active) if they're not included (I didn't check, but I doubt they are). Also, are you looking to wall mount them or use stands? There are products for such an application.

Oh, and I'd recommend also placing all powered devices behind a line conditioner. Might as well go with a UPS that supports "pure sine wave". AVOID the cheaper UPS units that only output with a "simulated sine wave". You'll have to check the specs

Apr 23, 2018

I would be placing the monitor on a desk alongside my computer and can look for a stand online. Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it