Which camera is best for film-making? 60d or 70d?

cattyk

Estimable
May 6, 2015
My daughter currently uses the 5dmark III and the 60d at school. I want to buy her a camera but the 5d mark III is out of my price range. Would the 70d be better than the 60d for film-making? I don't know the first thing about cameras so any help would be appreciated.

THM01

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
I'm not sure if you're trying to get it as a present for her or what, but honestly if she's in school for it I would probably just ask her which she wants.

The 70D has a touchscreen and the 60D doesn't I believe.

"The touchscreen and the improved autofocus system mean that the Canon D70 is a sure winner among videographers. It isn’t likely to impress any professionals but the Canon 70D fills the gap of the Canon 60D, and then some." http://whichcamerashouldibuy.org/canon-60d-vs-70d/

Also see http://mashable.com/2013/11/20/canon-eos-70d-review/

Heinrich17

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
It looks like your budget is around $1000... I wonder if a better approach would be a GH3 + Metabones Nikon Speed Booster. That will have advantages over the 60D & 70D. That should run about $1000 and will have many advantages over APS-C Canons. I personally use a GH4 and A7S. Both have advantages over the canons, but are outside of your price range. Of the two, I like the GH4 more, however the A7S has its obvious advantages (FF sensor & high ISO performance). I used to own a pair of GH3s as well, and although the GH4 is a better camera, the GH3s are almost there.

I only have experience with a 5D mkII and 5D mkIII from Canon in terms of video so I cannot comment on the 60D/70D. Of the two, I would think the 70D has an advantage as I remember Canon put some thought into video when it was released. If your daughter is really comfortable using Canon, then go for it, but honestly other brands are better now.

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
use 70D bro. or if you have a budget buy a sony HDR-FX7 because I am using this for films in TV and commercial and even in movie.
the price is the same with a DSLR with complete lens. I am using canon 5D too but if it's just for underwater film or even if I am in dangerous places such as:

up the mountain
airplane (C130)
helicopter
motorcycle (for stuntmans)
except for covering speedy objects because I use HDR-FX7 for that but dont limit yourself if you have a good talent with controling the shutterspeed It will be usable too

I recommend a sony HDR-fx7 or higher for highquality films
and I recommend 70D for mobility

one thing you need to consider in film making is the camera with highiest resolution because in video rendering you will still reduce the resolution because you are compressing it...

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Hey there,

To put it simply there isn't much difference in the 60d and 70d. As stated above, the main difference is in the auto focus tracking and automatic rack focus. Don't worry you dont need to understand these terms, just understand that you daughter will eventually learn how to do these things without the camera automatically doing it for her. So I believe that the better tool for your daughter is actually the 60d. If i have learned anything about film making its that its about knowing your constraints and adapting to them.. to improvise. Anyway, your daughter will esentially be able to do everything that to 70d can do on the 60d. She will just have to do it manually.

My advice: Save some money and go with the 60d. All the 70d offers is some gimmicky upgrades that she wont probably use anyway.

Don't let this dissuade you from getting the 70d. It is the newer camera so if you can find a decent price for it go ahead and get one.