Which laptop should I buy? UX430 or UX331 from ASUS?

JTan_25

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
The ones i’m contemplating between have about the same price. I hear the 430 has really bad PWM monitor but I think im not gonna get affected by it (hopefully, idk ive never tried pwm screens).

The 430 also has coil whine and overheating issues if im correct? The 331 on the other hand has none of these issues but i’m more attracted to the thinner bezels and bigger 14′’ display of the 430.

Im planning to code and game light like fortnite, dota, csgo and darksouls. I prefer a 14′’ display yet the 331 has 13.3′’ although it is touchscreen and brighter and better but it is glossy and a huge fingerprint magnet. Glossy meaning i wouldnt be able to work outdoors since it will just keep reflecting light on my face.

I need some advice on which one to choose. Someone probably to change my mind bout 13 and 14 inch displays is the difference not noticable? I feel like the 13 inch is too small.

Specs are: 8th gen i5, Mx150,8GB ram, and 256SSD, 1080 montior for both. 430 is matte and 331 is glossy. Also i heard coilwhine is loud from the 430 coming from the SSD and the fans is audible as well.

update: if anyone has other laptop suggestions with the same specs preferably 14 inches with backlit keyboard and is around 1.2kg please tell me id be happy to look for others

also, vivobook s14 also looks good what but i have no knowledge about whats good in it or not

Solution
Hi there. It sounds like you've got quite the conundrum there. So, let me muddy the water a bit more. I had an Asus Q303 for a couple years (recently got rid of it and upgraded to a gaming laptop) and I can tell you, once you've used the 13.3" screen for a while, you don't even notice it. You'll open another laptop at a later point though and go "holy crap this screen is huge!" but day to day you should be pretty happy with it.

I'm not sure what price points you are looking at, but HP has their EliteBook series which is actually pretty darn good, though they don't have the MX150 graphics on any of them, also there is the Microsoft Surface Laptops, again no MX150. Honestly there aren't many laptops in this range that have this...

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi there JTan_25,

As you have described about your problem I would be happy to assist you.

According to my knowledge you would require a laptop which can give you 60 FPS for your gaming and for outside working too. My Suggestion is that you must buy a laptop having GTX 950Ti as it is best for gaming and your laptop won't hang even at working.

Although if you want to choose from the laptops you expressed I would say UX 430 is the best. I have tried PWM monitors and to me they are normal yet I would recommend UX 430 laptop because it is much better than UX 331 and is more better in gaming plus you won't even have the trouble for your glossy type screen (Which can also saves you from the trouble for not working outside.)

Hope this would solve your problem,
Any more issue's reply to this thread I will be there to help you to my fullest,

Regards,
Acme Gamer

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Hi there. It sounds like you've got quite the conundrum there. So, let me muddy the water a bit more. I had an Asus Q303 for a couple years (recently got rid of it and upgraded to a gaming laptop) and I can tell you, once you've used the 13.3" screen for a while, you don't even notice it. You'll open another laptop at a later point though and go "holy crap this screen is huge!" but day to day you should be pretty happy with it.

I'm not sure what price points you are looking at, but HP has their EliteBook series which is actually pretty darn good, though they don't have the MX150 graphics on any of them, also there is the Microsoft Surface Laptops, again no MX150. Honestly there aren't many laptops in this range that have this combination of lightness and capability.

If I had to drop my money on one of these it would be the 331. The glossy screen is an annoyance, but I'm not outside much. The 13.3" screen is my favorite size. Touch screens work for me as I'll randomly touch things on the screens of laptops and it is reassuring that I'm not crazy when it does what I want. Glossy screens can be fixed by a screen protector... that also helps the fingerprint issues too, and you can even get one with a privacy screen. All in all I think you'll be very happy with the 331.

Solution

JTan_25

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

I think a 950ti laptop is too much and expensive i already have a beast gaming desktop for me to game on. But thanks for your opinion ill keep it in mind. I also dont think the pwm is a big deal. I have heard of coil whine and throttling in the 430 while doing normal stuff which im concerned

JTan_25

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

Thanks for your opinion if only there was a 14inch 331 version haha but im pretty sure ill get used to 13.3 after using it for a while and i heard 331 is the 430 version without the issues and has better cooling. Youre totally right about the glossy screen i never thought about screen protectors! well glossy isnt so bad after all

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Well it is good to hear that your problem is solved.

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Well it is good to hear that your problem is solved.