Which laptop to buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I need a laptop for cad/cam software. Programming for my CNC, software layout for photo rendering and for digital templating and measurement using a faro arm type device.

My current setup is a macbook pro running the following hardware-

Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

It runs all the software just fine, but I am tired of dual booting into xp and would like to use this macbook as a backup instead of the main computer. Most of this software was made during the era of single core processors, the digital measuring device has a serial cable, so the software for it is rather simple. My cad cam software doesn't run too well on my old desktop, which is a p4 2.4 ghz with 1.5g of ram. It has whatever onboard video a 500 dollar dell would have come with in 2003.

I am looking into one of the following laptops

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1YNG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1ZOE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LS9J5Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am open to other suggestions, but will probably buy an asus due to the warranty that includes accidental damage. I will be buying from amazon because I have a gift certificate and store credit there.

Is there a significant difference between the p6200 v i3 v i5?
This will also be a mobile computer for taking onsite digital measurements, so battery life would be nice, but isn't necessary, because all site have some sort of power. I just don't like dragging extension cords.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
The recall had to do with the chipset on the motherboards socket 1155. The new motherboards are revision B3. The recall was due to a SATA 3gbps malfunctioning. You can call asus to check if the product you have is a B3 revision or not. As far as i know, asus handled their recalls very very well so there's a very slim chance you'll get a faulty chipset. The OEMs shipped the products back to the manufacturers and Intel reimbursed them for their troubles. They then shipped out the new products. One of the reasons why the sandy bridge laptops are so few in number has to do with the products just hitting the market again after being replaced, and the price has to do with people buying them up rather quickly :p

Yes that is a sandy bridge i5...

gibsswron

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I advice to you can buy a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop. This is good and best laptop. The Latitude E6410 is the latest in a continued long life of business notebooks from Dell. This is a superb screen, awkward that begin on costlier models on rivals with its brittle argument definition, top best brightness level and good colour spread.

If you had gone with the K52 you would have found XP drivers.

It doesn't seem Asus (& many other MFGRs) are not writing XP driver software for the new crop of H67 motherboards and associated hardware.
If Asus isn't writing the XP drivers it's going to be a long shot finding anything that works.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I didn't even think about it, I just assumed that I would be able to install xp on it.

$#$%#$% I just opened the box earlier today and some of my software didn't work, but I think it was the 32 vs 64 bit foul up. I don't think I can return it now.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Doesn't the virtual machine run the programs reallllly slowly?

One of the programs I run is pretty demanding. My mac core duo 1.83 runs it well, if ac power is plugged in.(bootcamp, xp)

I bought this machine as an upgrade to my MBP(for strictly business programs, no screwing around, my old one is good at that) guess I should have just got a new MBP, since it is easier to run xp on it.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Well, amazon said I could return it. Sweet. I was prepared to eat the stupid thing, but amazon will let me return it.

So here are the new criteria:

XP drivers available, from amazon, preferable asus, I guess the best model available that allows me to install xp on it.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

that laptop has no dedicated gpu. so that is why it is cheaper. i would advise not getting one with integrated graphics(intel hd graphics) as they are not as good and when you have a ton of lines from your drawings it will slow down the display

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
the k52f one doesn't have integrated graphics?
I couldnt find them listed.

actually, I found them listed at buy.com
Tech Features Graphics Controller Manufacturer Intel
Tech Features Graphics Controller Model Graphics Medeia Accelerator HD

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
So if I scrap asus from the list, does it open up the options a little more.

Subquestion- Is it better to order an slower processor with a good graphics card? I will probably just trash the Win 7 os and run xp on it.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

no, programs like what you want to run love in order of importance, cpu cores, cpu clock speed, faster hard drive, and ram.

the laptop that you linked has an integrated intel hd graphics card built into the cpu. it is not as fast as most dedicated cards such as an amd(formerly ati) or a nvidia.

here this is what you need for your price range. it should get 5 hours plus on battery. let me know if its a little to much money

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the run down.

I am about to order a new mbp and just be done with it, but I don't want to spend 2k on a laptop that will just be used for business/mundane tasks. But it sure is easy to run xp on macs. The irony.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115987
my bad i thought i had.

if you dont have a budget anymore id recommend something along the lines of these laptops
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157487

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157484

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157539

they all have workstation graphics cards which are much better for cad programs

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I found them for the 2000 dollar hp, but for 2k, I am buying a new MBP.

I really just need a basic laptop that will run xp. My MBP runs the software just fine, so anything better than a core 2 duo with RadeonX1600 and 2gb of ram or better will run it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.