Which laptop to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I need a laptop for cad/cam software. Programming for my CNC, software layout for photo rendering and for digital templating and measurement using a faro arm type device.

My current setup is a macbook pro running the following hardware-

Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

It runs all the software just fine, but I am tired of dual booting into xp and would like to use this macbook as a backup instead of the main computer. Most of this software was made during the era of single core processors, the digital measuring device has a serial cable, so the software for it is rather simple. My cad cam software doesn't run too well on my old desktop, which is a p4 2.4 ghz with 1.5g of ram. It has whatever onboard video a 500 dollar dell would have come with in 2003.

I am looking into one of the following laptops

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1YNG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1ZOE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LS9J5Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am open to other suggestions, but will probably buy an asus due to the warranty that includes accidental damage. I will be buying from amazon because I have a gift certificate and store credit there.

Is there a significant difference between the p6200 v i3 v i5?
This will also be a mobile computer for taking onsite digital measurements, so battery life would be nice, but isn't necessary, because all site have some sort of power. I just don't like dragging extension cords.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
The recall had to do with the chipset on the motherboards socket 1155. The new motherboards are revision B3. The recall was due to a SATA 3gbps malfunctioning. You can call asus to check if the product you have is a B3 revision or not. As far as i know, asus handled their recalls very very well so there's a very slim chance you'll get a faulty chipset. The OEMs shipped the products back to the manufacturers and Intel reimbursed them for their troubles. They then shipped out the new products. One of the reasons why the sandy bridge laptops are so few in number has to do with the products just hitting the market again after being replaced, and the price has to do with people buying them up rather quickly :p

Yes that is a sandy bridge i5...

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
If money isn't an issue I would go with a newer sandy bridge core i3/core i5.

The two core i3/i5's are good processors, though. Both mobile processors are 32nm and 2 cores and 4 threads and based on nehalem, while the core2duo is based on an older architecture.

Sandy bridge core i3's would consume less power and outperform those processors while still providing better graphics. The downside is, of course, they're more expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-K53E-A1-15-6-Core-i3-2310M-6GB-DDR-K53-LAPTOP-/310300395525 is based on sandy bridge architecture and a better overall laptop. Core i3 2310m is the lowest end core i3 for a laptop, but because of the cougar point recall it'll be hard trying to find them for a decent price, or finding them at all :p

If you can't wait or can't find one for a decent price then either the core i3 or the i5 listed above would suit just fine. But if you find a good core i3-2310m for a similar price then don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Is this a sandy bridge i5?
http://www.amazon.com/K53E-B1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B004LUU8WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1729W3053T57N&s=electronics&qid=1303077947&sr=1-1

When you say there was a recall, I really want something that is reliable. This will be used for business so if it breaks down, I can't wait 2 weeks for a warranty replacement. I will have to buy a new one right then, which is why I was hoping to find one around 500-600. So if I have to buy a second one, no biggie.

Based on me running an intel core 2 duo, would either the 1st i3 or i5 be a significant improvement? And is the distance between the 2nd gen i3 and i5 that much different?

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The recall had to do with the chipset on the motherboards socket 1155. The new motherboards are revision B3. The recall was due to a SATA 3gbps malfunctioning. You can call asus to check if the product you have is a B3 revision or not. As far as i know, asus handled their recalls very very well so there's a very slim chance you'll get a faulty chipset. The OEMs shipped the products back to the manufacturers and Intel reimbursed them for their troubles. They then shipped out the new products. One of the reasons why the sandy bridge laptops are so few in number has to do with the products just hitting the market again after being replaced, and the price has to do with people buying them up rather quickly :p

Yes that is a sandy bridge i5. The sandy bridge processors have 4 digits, i3-2310, i5-2410, etc. And yes, there is about a 25% increase in processor speed and a decrease in battery usage as well as a boost in graphical performance from the first gen of core i3/i5. Basically, if you can find the sandy bridge and afford it then go for it. The chipset isn't something you'd be worried about.

Both of those are great, but will you need the turbo boost on the laptop? These will be much faster than your old laptop, so whether or not you need the computing power, and consequently the extra $100, will depend on how much you value the extra bump in clock speed. If you opt not to spend >$700 then go for the sandy bridge core i3-2310m as it's a rather significant improvement over the last gen of core i3/i5's.

Solution

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I am trying to stay in the 500 to 600 range, but you guys might have talked me into the new sandy bridge. Not the i7, because I really don't think I will benefit from it. The programs run great on my core 2 duo listed above. I might add rhino cad for 3d dxf drawing, but that is months away and won't need to be on a portable computer. I can do the 3d stuff in the shop for architectural drawings and detailed .dxfs to be machined.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
So I am between this
http://www.amazon.com/A52F-XE4-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B004LS9J5Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303096988&sr=1-4

This
http://www.amazon.com/K50IJ-XA1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B004Q9T7LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303098292&sr=1-2

and this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LUU8WU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The pentium (Intel Pentium Dual Core P6200) vs the core 2 duo I am running now?
I need to stress that the software I am running now runs fine on the core 2 duo I have listed above. So it is not super software or anything. I don't want to take a step backwards, but I also don't want to have an overpowered computer for the task at hand (for software that is not going to be updated)

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I had that i5 in my cart at amazon, then they sold out. So now, I will just get the nicest i5 I can find which I listed above (with the new sandy bridge)

Or one of the more basic ones also listed above.

I know you guys (and me, on most things) like to overbuy on awesome stuff you have alot of interest in. But this software is rather archaic and will not be updated. And as much as I want an awesome lambo of computer, I would rather save the money and buy an awesome lambo of a desktop computer for the 3d modeling in rhino cad.

Here is the required and recommended hardware for the software.

Required configuration

Processor: INTEL PENTIUM IV

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7

RAM: 512 MB

Graphic card: nVidia geforce serie 8 GTS

Free hard disk space: 40Gb - 7200 rpm

Mouse: required

Monitor: Monitor 17" with 1280x1024 resolution

Hardware: CD-ROM Reader

Recommended configuration

Processor: INTEL Core duo 2

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7

RAM: 4 GB

Graphic card: nVidia geforce serie 8 GTS

Free hard disk space: 40Gb - 7200 rpm

Mouse: required

Monitor: Monitor 17" with 1280x1024 resolution

Hardware: DVD-ROM Reader

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

do yourself a favor and do not invest in old technology. i didnt even know they still sold pentium 4 cpu's. that means an i series processor minimum. you will see a increase in performance with a quad core i will tell you that much right now especially with larger files and drawings. another thing with autocad a good gpu is inportant and normally good gpus get put with quad cores.

but i would atleast try to get a second gen i series and a faster hard drive ie 7200 rpm

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
If you're not putting a lot of stress on CPU horsepower than any of those will suffice and would be an upgrade, but the sandy bridge i3/i5's would be more significant. The i5 is great, but personally don't think it's worth the money. An i3-2310m would be more than enough for what you're looking for and would still fetch around the same price tag as the older core2duo's and first gen i3/i5's.

Bear in mind that quad core CPUs mean more TDP, which on a laptop that's not being used as a main workstation simply isn't worth it. Laptop is about mobility and good battery life should be one of the main benefits.

Imo, that core i3-2310m is the best price:performance you can get. The http://www.amazon.com/K50IJ-XA1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B004Q9T7LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303098292&sr=1-2 wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all and definitely not worth buying. http://www.amazon.com/K50IJ-XA1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B004Q9T7LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303098292&sr=1-2 would be in the same boat. If you're going to buy a new laptop it should at least be noticeably better than your previous/current one, otherwise what's the point of investing in it in the first place? Doesn't have to be uber expensive or a supercomputer, but you're looking for something that you can use for years down the road and not one that's already outdated.

Will it be an upgrade as well? or just a replacement so you don't have to quit dual-booting into windows? Would I benefit from a significant increase in performance? or is what i have more than enough? Do i need something beefier for the future that can step up to the plate? or will i just buy another when the situation calls for it?

The way you answer those questions should determine whether or not you want to splurge on a new gen sandy bridge or simply go with a replacement to the mac.

If it's just a replacement then buy something with similar specs and go for the cheapest, but if you'd like a significant performance increase then for ~600 you should get an i3-2310m. If it's not the time to upgrade and you'd like to wait it out a bit then that's not a bad idea either :p dual-booting for another month or two until more while sandy bridge platforms hit the market would also be another option, and you'd certainly see more availability and the prices drop.

emcinerney

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
I've been looking at laptop myself. I'm leaning towards one of the new HP ProBook models (the 4430s 14" for me). These are a line of their business models which I prefer since they are available with matte ("anti-glare" not glossy or "BrightView") displays. They have the new i3 2310m in them. Looks like the 4gb models come configured with a single DIMM which is great if you ever want to upgrade to 8gb. They also come with 72k rpm HDs instead of the 54k's in the consumer models. Now I just have to wait for a deal and talk myself into parting with my $$$...

Status
Not open for further replies.