Which laptop to buy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I need a laptop for cad/cam software. Programming for my CNC, software layout for photo rendering and for digital templating and measurement using a faro arm type device.

My current setup is a macbook pro running the following hardware-

Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

It runs all the software just fine, but I am tired of dual booting into xp and would like to use this macbook as a backup instead of the main computer. Most of this software was made during the era of single core processors, the digital measuring device has a serial cable, so the software for it is rather simple. My cad cam software doesn't run too well on my old desktop, which is a p4 2.4 ghz with 1.5g of ram. It has whatever onboard video a 500 dollar dell would have come with in 2003.

I am looking into one of the following laptops

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1YNG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1ZOE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LS9J5Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am open to other suggestions, but will probably buy an asus due to the warranty that includes accidental damage. I will be buying from amazon because I have a gift certificate and store credit there.

Is there a significant difference between the p6200 v i3 v i5?
This will also be a mobile computer for taking onsite digital measurements, so battery life would be nice, but isn't necessary, because all site have some sort of power. I just don't like dragging extension cords.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
The recall had to do with the chipset on the motherboards socket 1155. The new motherboards are revision B3. The recall was due to a SATA 3gbps malfunctioning. You can call asus to check if the product you have is a B3 revision or not. As far as i know, asus handled their recalls very very well so there's a very slim chance you'll get a faulty chipset. The OEMs shipped the products back to the manufacturers and Intel reimbursed them for their troubles. They then shipped out the new products. One of the reasons why the sandy bridge laptops are so few in number has to do with the products just hitting the market again after being replaced, and the price has to do with people buying them up rather quickly :p

Yes that is a sandy bridge i5...

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
can i ask why xp? all three laptops i have had in the last few years have supported xp but you might want to look at this xp will stop being supported in 2014. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-xp-desktop-gadget-countdown,12639.html

so you might take that into consideration. the HP EliteBook 8740w would be better than any mac book pro you could buy as it has a workstation gpu that excels in cad programs unlike gaming gpu's. they are made for cad programs. also that gpu has better gaming performance too.

coolhandchris

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
My main software is expensive and it is made for XP. To update it is really expensive and I don't need or want to update it( I have a very new version of it, just prior to 7 release). Some people have been able to install it on Vista, no one(except me, we loaded it on a backup computer and were able to get it to work, but it is a major pain. It was 32 bit win 7 ultimate) has been able to do it on Win 7.

It doesn't work on 64bit win 7. The company will have a release for that later this year, but I don't want to spend money to upgrade it to an operating system I have no interest in using. These computers are just for work, I really don't care what the newest OS has, because I am not going to use them.

The other software for controlling my faro arm device is only for xp. Maybe they will update it, maybe they won't. If I get a couple years out of the device, I will be happy with the purchase since I bought it for pennies on the dollar.

Cliffs: Software compatibility issues

Status
Not open for further replies.