Which of these cameras is better based on my needs?

brianjl85

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Please help! Sorry for the lengthy text! I'm wanting a camera that can take high quality pics, like the kind of quality I see on many blogs where it feels like you can reach out and touch what is in the photo, with widest close up and long distance shots possible and HD video. Both of these have 720p HD video. Someone else on here told me I need to look for the smallest mm for zoom which usually range from 18-200mm. Well the description on both of the following cameras for mm is kind of confusing as the Canon has a macro focus. I also plan to use this camera for beginning exploration into photography. I like taking artistic photos of people and self, but I need to learn what the different specs mean on cameras. I know these are not good cameras to use for photography, but it is a starting point on my current budget of $100 or less. All I have right now is a horrible cell phone camera, and worse my phone is not even a high end one. I also plan to blog and do Youtube videos. The kind of photography I want to do involves pics of people, but not like large groups. I'm starting small and sticking to more intimate photos, which I prefer anyways. The wide range I'm wanting is to be able to get as much of myself in the shot as possible holding camera as far away as possible with arm out-stretched until I am able to get a tripod. I've never owned my own real camera before, so this is my first. I also read the more megapixels it has is actually a bad thing unless the camera can be set to ISO 100 and no higher. The Sony one has an ISO 100 option among it's many ISO options. The Canon one doesn't mention ISO modes, which made me wonder if it has another feature that makes an ISO setting to 100 not needed, or it does have ISO of 100 but doesn't mention the different ISO options.

The Canon one says: http://

Type: 8 x zoom lens - 5 - 40 mm - f/3.2-6.9
Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera: 28 - 224mm
Macro Focus Range: 4 in - 19.7 in

While the Sony one reads: http://

Type: Carl Zeiss 8 x zoom lens - 4.5 - 36 mm - f/3.3-6.3
Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera: 25 - 200mm

I can't tell which is better since there are specs other than focal length, and the Canon one mentions something about macro focus. I posted the links above in case anyone answering wanted to see the cameras other features and specs.

Your budget wont allow you to get to the high quality pictures you want to take.

I'd say go with a Canon ELPH 330 HS, it's about in your price range. You have two goals which are not at all compatible. You want to get into taking good pictures but can't spend the money on a camera that will allow you to do that.

Take a look at this site for some more reviews http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/compacts/best_compact_digital_camera.shtml

Solution

cmetz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
"Your budget wont allow you to get to the high quality pictures you want to take"
Hang-the-9 is about right- I would either save up some more money before purchasing or buy a refurbished one on amazon (or somewhere like that) - or both. Good cameras that will take pics such as you're looking for cost quite a bit. I just bought a refurbished Canon Powershot SX40HS on amazon for $270 - it is a nice camera, but still not a professional one.
You can get a cheaper one, and it will take fairly good pics, but don't look for real 'professional' quality. Also, with a cheaper camera you likely will not be able to set the ISO, etc manually - or if you can it will not be quite as simple to do as with a more expensive model. I don't know much about the ELPH cameras, but I would readily recommend any Canon camera as very well built.
Hope that helps!