Which TV is recommended to lower eyestrain?

Kyosuke_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
In the past I had a 32" LG TV with CCFL backlight (IPS panel), and now I have a 42" Sony LED TV with VA panel.

I feel that my eyes are more tired since I got my new Sony TV, and I am almost sure that with my previous LG TV I could stare the TV for a longer time, without being tired.

I am not sure what is the reason, I expect bigger size shouldn't be an issue.
My previous TV had an IPS panel (1000:1 contrast at max), while the Sony has VA (~5000:1 contrast), even with low brightness, you can feel that the TV is somehow brighter - whites are brighter, etc, I think it may be because of the contrast.

Do you all think that a TV with IPS panel is better for the eyes if you look at it for several hours? Or maybe CCFL backlight is more eye-friendly than the LED backlight?

Also, there is one more thing that is different, my previous LG TV had matte panel (or at least it was very similiar to a matte, only some blurry reflections), and the current Sony has semi-glossy panel (like almost all TV these days), so I think this may matter somewhat too.

Solution
I don't have any specific recommendations. Maybe start with a dimmable can-type flood light in a floor or table fixture. You will have to play around. Your eyes will be unique, I don't know that anybody can give specifics, just general areas to explore.

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't have any specific recommendations. Maybe start with a dimmable can-type flood light in a floor or table fixture. You will have to play around. Your eyes will be unique, I don't know that anybody can give specifics, just general areas to explore.

Solution

Kyosuke_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I see... by the way even with 120 cd/m and 6500K I feel that the light parts of the TV are too light, with my previous IPS(CCFL) TV I never had a problem like this.

I am not sure if it is due to the LED, due to the nature of the VA panel, or maybe the less aggressive coating.
I will plan to get a new TV soon, and that's why I also asked, I am not sure if I should get a new TV with IPS panel, or maybe a Samsung TV with QLED, it is hard to tell which would be for the eyes.

Either ways, I will try the backlight thing too.