Which TV is recommended to lower eyestrain?

Kyosuke_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
In the past I had a 32" LG TV with CCFL backlight (IPS panel), and now I have a 42" Sony LED TV with VA panel.

I feel that my eyes are more tired since I got my new Sony TV, and I am almost sure that with my previous LG TV I could stare the TV for a longer time, without being tired.

I am not sure what is the reason, I expect bigger size shouldn't be an issue.
My previous TV had an IPS panel (1000:1 contrast at max), while the Sony has VA (~5000:1 contrast), even with low brightness, you can feel that the TV is somehow brighter - whites are brighter, etc, I think it may be because of the contrast.

Do you all think that a TV with IPS panel is better for the eyes if you look at it for several hours? Or maybe CCFL backlight is more eye-friendly than the LED backlight?

Also, there is one more thing that is different, my previous LG TV had matte panel (or at least it was very similiar to a matte, only some blurry reflections), and the current Sony has semi-glossy panel (like almost all TV these days), so I think this may matter somewhat too.

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't have any specific recommendations. Maybe start with a dimmable can-type flood light in a floor or table fixture. You will have to play around. Your eyes will be unique, I don't know that anybody can give specifics, just general areas to explore.

kanewolf

Judicious
Verify that you have a calibrated picture. Factory settings on TVs are not optimum usually. Verify which color temperature range you have (if adjustable). Lowering the blue (9000K) color to 6500K color can help eye strain.

Kyosuke_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I am using 6500k color temperature (Warm2 setting, with calibrated colors), the default "Normal" setting is much mire tiresome for me to watch.

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't have any specific recommendations. Maybe start with a dimmable can-type flood light in a floor or table fixture. You will have to play around. Your eyes will be unique, I don't know that anybody can give specifics, just general areas to explore.

Kyosuke_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I see... by the way even with 120 cd/m and 6500K I feel that the light parts of the TV are too light, with my previous IPS(CCFL) TV I never had a problem like this.

I am not sure if it is due to the LED, due to the nature of the VA panel, or maybe the less aggressive coating.
I will plan to get a new TV soon, and that's why I also asked, I am not sure if I should get a new TV with IPS panel, or maybe a Samsung TV with QLED, it is hard to tell which would be for the eyes.

Either ways, I will try the backlight thing too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 4
R Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
X Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 1