why black screen

Jhonez

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
Hello,

I own a DELL VOSTRO 1000 and the fan stopped working which prompted overheat,so after i read some online help i tried to open the laptop and clean off the dust from the fan and cooler, then i coupled it and press the power botton, the system boot as normal, but during booting i couldn't see the write-ups as it used to be but it boot normal and the fan works normal, the screan ON only but, there is no windows background nor image displayed.

when I connected it to a desktop monitor i saw that the system was in good state just the screan

Please i need solution.
Thanks in advance

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,

I guess you blew up your video-chip somehow.
It's possible to fix it but not for rookies.

The GPU must have had too much heat (while the carpet of dust was in the cooling area) heating up the tin and shortcircuiting some connections or releasing some connections between the GPU and the motherboard.

Sollution is to heat up the GPU slowly to 195°C and let it cool down slowly.
I have written the Procedure it into another thread:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2410647/laptop-screen-black-backlight-system-running.html

Let us know if you have more questions.

Cheers, Louise.

Jhonez

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

Thanks Louise for your kind directories on my issue, just to further tell the result i got from your direction.
I tried as directed used a heat-gun though, i can't say for sure to what °C i heated it but,its just the way you said, after reassembled the laptop it still the same as before, the system boots perfectly, fan running but no display and i also connect it to external monitor which proves the system working normal, everything is in accordance.
Please what do you think should be the next step?

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
it is crucial that the temperature of 195°C is met, therefor you need a some kind of measurement of it !
if you don't meet the right °, the tin will never melt and over 200°C will damage even more !
The heating must occur slowly (1 degree per second) not faster ! it can crack.

I have a universal Volt-meter which measures also other things like theTemp. I guess you can buy it in the hardware store. (but be sure you can measure ° with it !)

if you 're not sure what ° you reached then I advise to restart it with the right Equipment.

Good luck.
Louise.

Jhonez

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

Dear Louise, Hence i have tried to this point yet without a solution, i am thinking i should connect the external monitor to make use of my laptop as an alternative but, i am afraid if there would be a risk in doing this either now or in future?
please i need an opinion to this idea before taking the step.
Thanks in advance

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
If you're Lucky the external port (VGA port) will not be affected !
but I have seen lots of these issues where also the external port gives nothing.

There is no danger connecting an external screen !
just be sure to use Fn+F8 (usually for Dell) to change to external screen but give it time to switch !
don't press Fn+F8 3 or 4 times in a row cause it will confuse the PC !

Cheers, Louise.

Jhonez

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

Dear Louise, you have really been kind to me through my encounters and i gladly appreciated you for making yourself a available to always give answers. God bless you.
I just wish all the efforts applied yield a desired result. really i wish that my case is settled but i still hope maybe there would be solution. hence the system functions positively and normally with external monitor

TRENDING THREADS