Why can’t I boot from USB Flash Drive?

mikalspider9333

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hi, I am trying to dual boot openSUSE with Windows 10, but it says “System doesn’t have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in boot manager menu.”

Solution
you probably need to enable legacy boot instead of UEFI for the opensuse i guess. but u need it for win10. try the following below.
* disable secure boot on BIOS.
* enable the legacy option ROM
* keep the boot mode to UEFI or UEFI+legacy if you have it
* save and reset.
* press F12 (if it doesnt work then just go to the boot menu F8 or F2/del to bootmenu)
* select USB

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
you probably need to enable legacy boot instead of UEFI for the opensuse i guess. but u need it for win10. try the following below.
* disable secure boot on BIOS.
* enable the legacy option ROM
* keep the boot mode to UEFI or UEFI+legacy if you have it
* save and reset.
* press F12 (if it doesnt work then just go to the boot menu F8 or F2/del to bootmenu)
* select USB

Solution
Jan 18, 2019
Unfortunately, there are certain systems that flat-out do not support USB booting. You can use VirtualBox to boot. Once you've installed VirtualBox and the VBox extension pack, insert your USB, run Command Prompt as admin and type the following commands:

Code:
cd %programfiles%\Oracle\VirtualBox
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "C:\choose\a\path\your-own-file-name.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1

Now, run VirtualBox as admin and create a new VM. A window appear asking for some configuration settings. In this window, under "Hard disk" (you may need to open the advanced settings for "experienced users" to see this), select "Use an existing virtual hard disk file" and find the vmdk file you created with the previous command. Once you finish the set up, you should be able to boot from your flash drive. Once the system is up and running, you'll need to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions on the OS on your USB. This will allow your screen to resize (instead of being just a small window) and better mouse integration, among other things. There are plenty of tutorials on how to install the guest additions that can be found with a simple web search. Note: You will need to run VirtualBox as administrator each time you boot from your USB.