Why does it switch to mono?

Diamond_G

Prominent
May 11, 2017
When i do a recording,whether it is made with obs or nvidia shadowplay at the half of the video there is a strange distorted noise (as if a truck is going past me) then the audio switches to mono...Why???I also tried to switch the headphone jacks (i have one for audio,other for mic) from the back to the front but it won't recognize my headphones (audio only)...Help please!

Solution
Okay, I'm a bit confused..

1) the ONLY sound sources are ones you make with recording using OBS or Shadowplay?
and

2) "it won't recognize my headphones... "??
Do you mean there's no MICROPHONE from the front case connector?

Starting with #2 it could be:
a) jack or cable is defective
b) cable not connected properly to motherboard
c) motherboard issue
d) microphone not enabled in audio software (right-click audio icon, recording devices... )

You may need the REALTEK SOFTWARE (i.e. realtek.tw ... ) installed and setup to auto-switch if you want that to work easily.

OTHER:
There are other good choices such as an external USB DAC with headphone + microphone jack (and maybe speaker jack too).

Back to #1:

Not sure I know, but WHY would...
Okay, I'm a bit confused..

1) the ONLY sound sources are ones you make with recording using OBS or Shadowplay?
and

2) "it won't recognize my headphones... "??
Do you mean there's no MICROPHONE from the front case connector?

Starting with #2 it could be:
a) jack or cable is defective
b) cable not connected properly to motherboard
c) motherboard issue
d) microphone not enabled in audio software (right-click audio icon, recording devices... )

You may need the REALTEK SOFTWARE (i.e. realtek.tw ... ) installed and setup to auto-switch if you want that to work easily.

OTHER:
There are other good choices such as an external USB DAC with headphone + microphone jack (and maybe speaker jack too).

Back to #1:

Not sure I know, but WHY would you switch your headphones to a different jack when the audio changes only in the video? You only have to select an earlier point in the video prior to when the sound goes MONO to confirm the headphones still work properly.

Thus it's the RECORDING only that's a problem.

I'm not sure since in SHADOWPLAY it should be all done via the graphics card (video and audio) then written back to your SSD or HDD.

**Have you tried disabling the MICROPHONE recording capability in OBS or Shadowplay, and/or unplugging the microphone while recording?**

The only thing I can think of is that there's some conflict between the microphone and the normal audio from the game, and when they merge it screws things up.

Solution