Question Why does my laptop gets super hot after replacing broken hdd and randomly shutdown?

Apr 10, 2022
A week ago, my laptop's original HDD gets broken(a weird clicking sound and unable to boot), so I decided to replace it with a formatted HDD from my friend's broken laptop. Then the 1st problem appeared...my laptop gets interrupted while installing win 10 because of a random shutdown and after many tries, I finally get win 10 installed on the new HDD. And again after that, the 2nd problem appeared...every time I log on in win 10...my laptop's CPU temperature rises up to 75 °C (based on speccy and core temp app) and rises between 85°C to 90°C when using google meet...after 20-30min it instantly shut down. That time, I didn't bother fixing these problems but now it's a headache.

Detail of my laptop...
Brand: Dell
Model: Inspiron 1564
CPU: Intel Core i3-330m(I saw from intel that the max temp is 90°C)
RAM: 4GB
Old HDD: Seagate 250GB
New HDD: Seagate 320GB
Friend's laptop: HP G62

Things I have done so far:::
  1. Replace Thermal Paste(after that, the temp goes down around from 75°C to 70°C and from 85°C-90°C to 78°C -82°C while using google meet)
  2. Cleaned the CPU Fan and heat spreader
So, does anyone knows how to fix the random shutdown and the high temperature

I assume you did a clean install for Windows. Assuming you downloaded the installer from Microsoft and made a bootable USB stick, then the install is running from a piece of software that has nothing to do with anything left on the HDD. Therefore the shutdown you experienced would seem to be a hardware problem. A obvious first question is are the fan(s) running? When you disassemble a laptop, it is advisable to follow the details in the service manual, especially ESD precautions. Not following ESD precautions can damage you machine in a variety of ways. Had it ever been taken apart prior to HDD swap? Were there any overheating issues before the HDD swap?

Apr 10, 2022
I assume you did a clean install for Windows. Assuming you downloaded the installer from Microsoft and made a bootable USB stick, then the install is running from a piece of software that has nothing to do with anything left on the HDD. Therefore the shutdown you experienced would seem to be a hardware problem. A obvious first question is are the fan(s) running? When you disassemble a laptop, it is advisable to follow the details in the service manual, especially ESD precautions. Not following ESD precautions can damage you machine in a variety of ways. Had it ever been taken apart prior to HDD swap? Were there any overheating issues before the HDD swap?

Answers
1. are the fan(s) running?

Yes, the fan is running but it won't start after pressing the power button unless the windows screen where you put your password appear. Is that fine or the fan is broken?

2. it is advisable to follow the details in the service manual, especially ESD precautions

I think I did it pretty much.

3. Had it ever been taken apart prior to HDD swap?

Yes, it has been taken apart for ram upgrade but it's done by a personnel in a computer repair shop.

4. Were there any overheating issues before the HDD swap?

There was no overheating issue before the HDD swap since I can use it for a long time without exceeding 50°C-60°C or so.