Why doesn't my Vizio hdtv recognize my movie files on my flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xazilizax

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I have a Vizio 32" LCD hdtv in my office. On the side of it is a USB port. I am using an 8GB flash drive, created a 'MOVIES' folder and loaded an .avi movie in that folder. When I connect the flash drive to the tv, it shows a "Picture" folder. When I click OK, it then opens a "system" folder and my "MOVIES" folder. When I select the "MOVIES" folder and press OK, nothing happens. Up at the top right, it says Empty Folder. Does my tv not read even simple .avi file format? Grr!

NOTE: I don't have any cable box or anything else hooked up to it; only the power plug.

The flash drive works fine on my Vizio 60" Smart TV.

Solution
Most TVs only support MPEG, maybee some MP4.

The USB port in many TVs was more of a thought for pictures or just providing 5V power to a device. If they do support movies it is a very limited format as being able to support more formats requires not just more processing power, but also having to pay for different codecs. That is not even getting into conflict of interests, like sony (the owner of Blu-Ray format that gets royalty for every Blu-Ray disc made) had very few products that support mkv file format that many hd movies are decoded to.
Most TVs only support MPEG, maybee some MP4.

The USB port in many TVs was more of a thought for pictures or just providing 5V power to a device. If they do support movies it is a very limited format as being able to support more formats requires not just more processing power, but also having to pay for different codecs. That is not even getting into conflict of interests, like sony (the owner of Blu-Ray format that gets royalty for every Blu-Ray disc made) had very few products that support mkv file format that many hd movies are decoded to.

Solution

ktuck911

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014

LG provides this capability, which is why I love using this TV more than anyone... Someone mentioned for the VIZIO to download windows 7 update to it, and also some codec files... how do you do that when these are HDTVs and not actual computers? Also, do the SMART TVs have the capability to view video files like the LG TVs have been doing since their beginning?

Baldylox209

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
I have a Vizio e320ib2. I have found that my tv can use mpeg2 and .vob amazingly well. I use aimersoft dvd ripper, and store all my backups on my external harddrive, and keep it plugged in to my vizio. I have no need for a dvd player. The.vob is an exact (loss-less) version of the original movie. No cropping needed. Downside, Files can be pretty large, up to 4.3 gb so far I have found.
SHort response... .vob and mpeg2 are at least types the vizio can read.

Status
Not open for further replies.