why wont my pny flash drive play in car media player but plays fine in pc n how can i fix this

James Tinsley

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
i have a pny flash drive 16 g it lists and plays media n music just fine in home pc but will not read in car media player other sticks work ok how can i fix this i feel like i did somthing wrong in thefile transfer but dont know help

Solution
if you could give us the file system type on the flash drive that could answer everything.

to see the file system, insert it into a computer and open up the properties dialog for it. under the name field there will by a field called "type" and then one below it labeled "File system". if you could report to use what that reads for the flash drive then we can better advise you on a solution.

the likely situation here is its formatted to NTFS or exFAT and the car stereo doesn't support that. if that is true, then reformatting to FAT32 should solve your problem.

Illuminations

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
What file format does the stick have? If car only supports FAT32 and your stick is in NTFS, for example, it will not work.

Check what the audio system in the car requires.

Good Luck!
Axel.

pasow

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
if you could give us the file system type on the flash drive that could answer everything.

to see the file system, insert it into a computer and open up the properties dialog for it. under the name field there will by a field called "type" and then one below it labeled "File system". if you could report to use what that reads for the flash drive then we can better advise you on a solution.

the likely situation here is its formatted to NTFS or exFAT and the car stereo doesn't support that. if that is true, then reformatting to FAT32 should solve your problem.

Solution

Starship459

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Starship459

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Hi James I play all my music off flash drives in my car. The thing is the drive has to be formatted to Fat32 no exfat. Also you can't have folders inside folders. So you can have "Linda Ronstad Greatest Hits" but that's it when that opens the music has to be there no inner folder. I really hope this helps. I'm having a problem getting my newer Eagles Albums to Play on the FD funny I can copy them to a CD and they play.