WiFi for Samsung SmartTV with UserID

cdeb77

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Hi guys,
I just bought a Samsung UN40EH5300 (Smart TV) and I'm trying to configure my internet connection. The problem I have is that, since I live on a university residence, if I want to use the WiFi network (provided by the university), I have to type my UserID and Password. The TV is able to detect the network, but it only lets me to type the password, so (obviously) I cannot get connected. What can I do?
Cheers!

Solution
I managed to overcome this issue (btw, I tried leaving the password blank but it didn't work). The only solution that worked for my case was to create a virtual router using my laptop's wifi.
Before doing that, I talked with the support people from Samsung, but they didn't know anything (at all, probably). I also tried to create an ad-hoc network using my laptop without success because, apparently, the TV doesn't recognize ad-hoc networks. So the only thing that worked was the virtual router-thing.

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
This may be a problem since the wifi is probably unsecured with possibly only a university network login with user name and password. Meaning you don't need to be authorized to connect to the wifi AP but there is a user/pass to jump on their network.

Have you tried entering nothing as a the password, leaving that field blank and proceeding. Not sure if the TV will let you proceed to allow a popup for you to enter the user/password.

Do you have a laptop or computer with wifi near the television. An easy method would be to create a wireless ad-hoc setup. The computer would connect to the university network where you could login normally. The ad-hoc would act, for all intents and purposes, as a wifi access point. You could have your TV connect to this ad-hoc wifi AP.

I'll give you a real-world example: I frequent hotels worldwide, especially fancy hotels that charge daily for wifi. I plug my MacBook into the room ethernet cable or jack that provides internet service at no charge. Then, using the wifi radio in my laptop, I activate Internet Sharing and begin broadcast a password protected wifi signal using ad-hoc technology. So the laptop basically acts like a wireless AP that I can use for my phones, iPad, etc.

You may be able to add a router where the wifi radio can be put into bridge-mode. But you'd still need have to login to the university network. This may be possible with DD-WRT but I have no idea. A question for another forum.

cdeb77

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
I managed to overcome this issue (btw, I tried leaving the password blank but it didn't work). The only solution that worked for my case was to create a virtual router using my laptop's wifi.
Before doing that, I talked with the support people from Samsung, but they didn't know anything (at all, probably). I also tried to create an ad-hoc network using my laptop without success because, apparently, the TV doesn't recognize ad-hoc networks. So the only thing that worked was the virtual router-thing.

Solution

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014

Wonderful. This is what was explained in the previous post regarding my MacBook.

Glad to know it worked out for you.