Will computer run OK without any version of Office installed?

Seeking

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Do I have to have any version of office running on my windows 7, professional, 64 bit computer? I have excel 2013 stand alone and word 2000 stand alone. Will these two programs run without any form of MS Office on the computer since they are supposedly stand alone? I don't want office on my computer at all. I do not want to use Word 2007 either. Thank you.

Solution
Absolutely, I can't even tell you how much trouble the 64bit versions of Office cause me. Even Microsoft recommends 32bit office for all platforms.

Only people using 64bit data sources with Excel and Access should even bother with 64bit Office (You are still limited to 2GB file sizes either way.)

Echocookie

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
Yes. They are standalone so you don't need Office to get them. Make sure you have the 64-bit versions, though. Since you are running a 64bit operating system you will need the 64-bit versions.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Incorrect, the 32-bit versions run just fine. In fact there are some compatibility issues between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions (especially Excel) that make the 32-bit version more desirable if one is going to share documents with others.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Absolutely, I can't even tell you how much trouble the 64bit versions of Office cause me. Even Microsoft recommends 32bit office for all platforms.

Only people using 64bit data sources with Excel and Access should even bother with 64bit Office (You are still limited to 2GB file sizes either way.)

Solution

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I would not suggest the 64 bit versions of any Office app. as MS states they do not work with older documents, spreadsheets, etc. created under older 32bit versions of Office. The 32bit version works just fine and at the moment there is no reason to use the 64bit ones.

TRENDING THREADS