Will my Onkyo TX-NR757 be able to power a 5.1 or 5.2 Klipsch R28 surround sound speaker system?

Menji87

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I recently purchased the TX-NR757 and I bought a R-12SW to replace my blown sub from my very old Yamaha surround sound system... Now I am thinking about replacing all of speakers as well. I am leaning towards the Reference R28F surround sound system from Klipsch... But I have been given mixed opinions regarding my Receiver and whether it will be able to properly power that speaker system.
I am not all that familiar with how wattages do or do not work, but I thought the rms wattage rating for the speakers is the number I wanted to be concerned with rather than the peak wattage. I am being told differently though... So now I am left wondering whether I will need a higher wattage rated receiver or if the one I have now will do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kanewolf

Splendid
Klipsch speakers are usually high sensitivity. You shouldn't have any issues IMO. The wattage of the Onkyo is only important if you play really loud. Most of the time the speakers only need less than 5W to create normal sound levels.

Menji87

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I know the 757 offers bi-amp channels for the fronts at 110w rms. would this be a better setup for the R-28Fs as from their support page they're listed with a minimum continuous wattage requirement of 120w? (150w rms at 8ohms X .08)

kanewolf

Splendid

I would set it up conventionally and see if it doesn't meet your expectations. Bi-Amp is not a configuration that is used by most people.