Will Nvidia shut off the free online streaming service to their Shield lineup?

deatheater500

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Today I have been enticed by the Nvidia Shield portable's (the controller and built in screen one) ability to stream games from your PC to anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. They call this "Remote Streaming".

However, upon checking other pages websites and exploring other features, I have doubts about what I thought I read and need clarification.

From what I have read on another Nvidia page it seems that this Remote streaming feature is not actually free forever. Even though I have all the equipment necessary to stream games (compatible Keplar graphics card, fast enough internet, etc.) it seems that Nvidia may run this service through something called GRID.

Grid is essentially a place to buy other PC games to go to your Shield and does alot of the processing for Shield games on their servers. However Grid is only free until July 31, 2015.
Source: http://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-grid/faq/1

FINAL:
If I buy the Shield portable will I be able to stream the PC games I already have on my computer to my Shield?
Connection: PC -> Internet -> Shield
OR
Does the streaming service have to run through GRID and thus I would have to pay monthly for this?
Connection: PC -> GRID -> Shield

Other note worthy information I found online:
Source: http://shield.nvidia.com/store/portable
"ALL YOUR FAVORITE GAMES, TO GO
Wirelessly connect to the NVIDIA GRID game streaming service or your home PC with NVIDIA GameStream™ technology to play your favorite games anywhere."

Solution
I have a shield, and my impression was that their game service (GRID) is going to become a paid service in the near future. However, if you own an Nvidia GPU capable of Shield Streaming (Game Stream), and have compatible games loaded on that PC, then it is still free. Your shield connects directly to your PC with Game Stream, not through GRID - so I highly doubt there will be any charge for it.

Think of it as similar but ultimately separate systems.

John Wittenberg

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
I have a shield, and my impression was that their game service (GRID) is going to become a paid service in the near future. However, if you own an Nvidia GPU capable of Shield Streaming (Game Stream), and have compatible games loaded on that PC, then it is still free. Your shield connects directly to your PC with Game Stream, not through GRID - so I highly doubt there will be any charge for it.

Think of it as similar but ultimately separate systems.

Solution