Windows 10 (Finally) Gives Power to the People

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
After adopting 8.1 Pro for an HTPC build, I was not all that bothered by it. However, I still do not think 10 will be a success. Why? Because the business world is not yet ready to spend the large amount of $$$ necessary to transition over to it. Whatever version of Windows is after this will likely be the one that the business world will adopt, IMHO, IF it proves robust and stable. M$ should get on the business world schedule rather than expect the business world to get on the M$ schedule - which will likely never happen.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I very much like, that with W10, we have a choice whether to use the new start menu or keep the "old" W8 start screen. That was the biggest mistake of W8 - not giving users the choice not to use the new stuff.
I am probably keeping the start screen, though. Got used to it and (for me) it really is much more efficient than a start menu.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I have Windows 10 installed on a virtual machine, I played around with it for a little bit, definitely more user friendly. The return of the start menu is much appreciated, though it's a little overwhelming at first with all the metro apps pinned to it. Also, you can right click the start menu and get the windows 8.1 options. A step in the right direction.

Jim90

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
MS: lesson learned? - just get back to focussing on the desktop, please...no mobile/touchscreen/store functionalities, or at the very most, optional opt-in installs.
Of course, the future is a different thing.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Just installed Windows 10 Preview... are they crazy with the icons in Explorer?????? It`s like working with Windows 3.11... what the hell is with this trend ??? I was all ok with 8.1 but Win 10 is meh...

littleleo

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I sure hope Windows 10 is a winner. The windows 8/8.1 disaster really killed PC business big time. It would really help drum up sales if it was a good O/S. Heck if it's good I'll even buy one.

Now if they could just fix Office 2013 it really sucks. I used to sell 60 copies of Office 2010 a month after Office 2013 came out and customer's tried it they preferred to buy Office 2010. So I sold them that until I ran out of stock. Now I sell less than 10 copies of Office 2013 a month, man that hurts. Most are now using Google docs, Open Office or Libre Office. They may never come back to MS Office.

xspkbstr

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Until the folks at Microsoft figure out two things, they will continue to be the butt of joke amongst us IT people: 1st, stop changing to basic lay out of Windows Client OS for business, make it more secure. 2nd, goes along with the 1st: learn to make an OS that doesn't crash nearly as often when compared to Linux/Unix.

Just because Microsoft has a better sale team then Linux/Unix, doesn't mean it is a better OS. Most of my peers in the IT industry have all said that if they wanted a Smartphone/iPad like desktop OS, they would invest in Android.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I bashed Windows 8 a lot, but after upgrading to 8.1, and after a lot of configuration (far too much of which involved regedit), there wasn't really much to complain about. That said, I will welcome the return of the start menu.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
No it does not give power to people. I am playing with technical preview al day long and this release is nothing but Windows 8.1 with crippled start menu. I said 'crippled' because it is so limited and basic, it is pretty much read only start menu. You cannot create folders in, can't drag and drop, missing right side of windows 7 menu. Whole interface looks like flat Windows XP UI with 256 colors. It is a joke....

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
One OS to rule them all, except if you have to pay license on your OS for mobile/tablet as it is now, developer won't bother with your OS except if you pay em. Look at Windows Phone not having many appealing apps. You already got the device for your own so make the OS free.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So... what exactly are the "improvements" over... Windows 7?

Lets see... still just as ugly as Windows 8... so other than tablet/hybrid device that gets a crappy looking UI, there is no real need for it.

Windows 7 is good for another 6 years... so far, I am not sold for 8-bit looking crap interface on my 28" monitor and top end quad core computer.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i'm using the preview right now. nothing major has changed from windows 8 so far other then the start menu and putting apps on the desktop feature. there have been some small changes to the modern ui for touch screen and keyboard users though. no more full layout modern ui like it was with windows 8 for keyboard users. now it's all tied into the start menu. the full modern ui layout feature is reserved for the touch screens now. A few things to mention is you can return the start menu to it's classic form by unpinning all the apps on the right side, those apps can still be found in the all apps menu which is a similar layout to the all programs menu in windows 7.

The installation process was very quick even faster then Windows 8 was. it took all but maybe 5 minutes if that for a complete install using a regular 250gb SSD drive.

there are some minor bugs with it but not anything major that I have ran into and i'm using a 4 year old laptop for testing. Other then media player and a couple apps that just stopped working a couple times and I had to restart them again to get them to work again, that's really all the issues that I have had so far. Everything on the hardware side seems to be working just fine.

Windows 10 so far even in its technical preview stage seems to be solid overall. other then a view minor bugs that need to be fixed like I mentioned and some minor tweaks here or there, i don't think anything major has to be done to it, it already feels almost like an RTM the way it is now.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
"Now if they could just fix Office 2013 it really sucks. I used to sell 60 copies of Office 2010 a month after Office 2013 came out and customer's tried it they preferred to buy Office 2010. Most are now using Google docs, Open Office or Libre Office. They may never come back to MS Office."
(What happened to easy access to the full text editor at toms?)

Yeah, Office 2013 sucks in every way. Don't count on Office 2015 to fix anything.
Office 2010 is still very nice... but the blinding white UI and the removal of divider lines between the functions was stupid... along with the standard flat-METRO style of the UI even when on Windows 7.

Then attach the rip-off installation rules.... in which, if you paid $500 for Office 2013 Pro, and your NEW notebook died and was replaced... too bad, you'd have buy another $500 copy of MSO2013!! That took about 2-3 months for MS to change that stupid ass rule.

Still, you could buy MSO2010 Home edition and install it on 3 PCs... or the Business Pro edition and install it on two PCs (your desktop and notebook). With 2013 - Microsoft ass-rapes you with a single install for your $140~$500. So yeah - MS made more money per sale... but less people are buying their crap.

Hey, try out KingSoft Office (aka: WPS Office) - its free and looks and feels much like Office 2010 (no Outlook). What sucks is that the latest version changed the skin to look more like MSO2013... rather than MSO2010. But still retains the MSO 2003 and 2000 skins. Its a small 40MB DL... and the price can't be beat. I've been installing that on my clients PCs rather than waste good money on MS-Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.