WIndows 7 fresh install - fans running at max constantly

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Laptop is HP Pavilion DM4-2153ca
Just did a fresh Windows 7 install (from scratch, didn't use recovery)
However I've been having the fans running constantly since then, for no reason, when the laptop is at idle. Task manager shows absolutely nothing special, at least not that I know of.
I also checked my antivirus and it's not doing anything in the background.
Needless to say it's also draining the battery.

I attached screenshots of task manager and HWinfo64. Help!!

P.S.: I've never had this problem with the Manufacturer's recovery W7 which I ran for the last 4 years. I also ran a fresh install of W10 on this same laptop for 2 weeks and didn't have the problem. However I had to revert back to a fresh W7 install because of driver compatibility issues.

30a6pmf.jpg

2h6t46q.png

2a8m9gh.png

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Installed everything, even "HP Cool Sense", nothing happened. It baffles me that it was working perfectly win OEM Win7 and Fresh install Win10 until I decided to fresh install Win7 two days ago...

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Well, the screens show very high cpu usage resulting in high temps. Of cause the fans run high in this case. IT even looks like you disabled all power saving features and the cpu alway runs at highest frequency?

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
No I'm running balanced. Power saver doesn't change anything either.

Look at this below : Only 1 tab of chrome is open, and CPU usage is low, yet fan is still audible, not max speed, but certainly not like usual. Also there's a constant 1.8 GB of ram (out of 8) being used at idle, is this normal for Win7?

I got Task Manager open side-by-side with one tab of Chrome and as soon as I load a webpage CPU load spikes at 40-50% then comes back down... Is this a normal behavior?

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Yes, that's normal. Most web pages come with a bunch of javaskripts embedded, image that need resizing and the virus scan needs cpu power as well. Just check the task manager for background process that use and so heat up the cpu. It might simple be the Windows update that is running and downloading stuff in background?

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Very sorry for the delay, I had to put this issue on the side for a while.

I noticed the fan speed came down and wasn't constantly at max anymore. Yes the fan running at max speed was somehow related to Windows endlessly looking for updates, which I solved. But it's still not completely solved and fans run higher than they used to before the fresh install, just not at max.

I still get unnecessary fan speed spikes, and I noticed the fans run at max speed when the laptop is left alone and the screen turns off to save battery. What in the world could it be doing when screen is off and no program is open? I even checked my antivirus and it's not working in the background. What's weird is as soon as I wake the screen (by pressing a button) the fan slows down... I'm really curious about this...

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Has to be a task in background somehow. HDD defrag? Backup? Synchronizing a Google or M$ account in the cloud? Maybe reviewing the entry in task scheduler helps.

Tom_56

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016

What exactly are the service tools? Is that different than the drivers? The fan on my Elitebook 8440p would not run after I installed an SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro.

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Sorry for late reply, but service tools are listed on the manufacturer's website for your specific model (in the downloads section). It's software the manufacturer has developed for the laptops it sells.