Windows 7 task manager shows multiple instances of Internet Explorer running in Applications but IE isn't open.

sccsdtech

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
I have windows 7 64bit running on a Dell laptop. In the task manager there shows to be several instances of IE running in the applications tab. However, IE isn't open, and if you try to end task nothing happens. Sometimes another instance will pop up if you try and close one. I have run a roguekiller scan and it says it finds malware that I remove, but if I run the scan again it will find something else. A malwarebytes scan and windows defender scan always comes back clean.

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
So that's anti-malware... what antivirus are you running? Try BitDefender free for 30 days, see what it come up with

A compeltely different thought... have you been running your laptop with a second screen connected? Is it still behaving as if that second screen is still there? IE opening Windows on your non-existent 2nd screen? Right click on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution to see if the laptop thinks a second screen is present, and if need be, kill it

sccsdtech

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't get a chance to look at friday, but when I came in today and booted it up it was gone, so I guess rogue killer and Kaspersky got everything the second time around.

wolfofsorrow

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

Mine is doing the same thing. It is a windows 7 32-bit system. The issue is, when I opn Windows Task Manager it says there are also copies of IE running that I have not opened. They're actual websites like: http://ultraserachresults.com and random other "pop up"-like-names. I try to click on them and you cannot go to them. I try to end the process and it does not close. When I shut down my pc the pages flash for a second, you can't see anything, and then they're always back when I restart my pc.

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Antivirus? Antimalware? Sounds like malware to me.... Do you have Winows Update, Adobe Reader, Java etc all up to date?