Windows can't boot when a hard disk is installed

justajok3

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Help , my windows can't boot once i connect the sata table to one of my hard disk.Windows can start normally when i removed that hard disk.I found my hard disk retailer to check the hard disk but it show it's healthy, i have no idea to it

Solution

strange, one thing i would recommend is download a diagnostic boot utility you can put on a DVD or USB drive. with that you can run some diagnostics on that HDD or first you could try formatting the drive with it to see if somehow that gets windows to see it

here is a link to windows PE...

geofelt

Distinguished
Does the hard drive perhaps have a hidden recovery partition left over from a previous windows installation?

After booting, can you attach the hard drive via a usb adapter to see what is on it and reformat it?

I think windows boot reads all the attached drives
looking for a recovery partition.

justajok3

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

I don't have a usb adapter,I think i formatted that hard disk recently,so i have to format the hard disk one time again?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

if you're not sure then just format it again or go in and delete all the partitions leaving the drive blank

justajok3

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

I put the OS drive at the top of the boot order and now my windows can boot but that hard disk is not detected by windows

captaincharisma

Distinguished

did you go into disk management to see if it shows up?

justajok3

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

It doesn't appear in disk management , but i can see it on boot option

captaincharisma

Distinguished

strange, one thing i would recommend is download a diagnostic boot utility you can put on a DVD or USB drive. with that you can run some diagnostics on that HDD or first you could try formatting the drive with it to see if somehow that gets windows to see it

here is a link to windows PE:

http://windowsmatters.com/2015/12/29/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-version-12-29-2015/

Solution