Windows Phone 7 Will be an 'Ad Serving Machine'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Having an ad slide down the screen while the app isn't even active is uhh... a deal breaker for me.

For once, I might actually agree with Apple and their new ad system. At least ads won't bother me when the app isn't active.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Unless opting in for the ads somehow defrays the monthly cost of the phone service, I can't imagine why *ANYONE* would opt in to be on the receiving end of an "Ad Serving Machine."

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Microsoft still not getting it ... tis Sad. Please please please, someone get Ballmer retired before Apple have to invest in Microsoft.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I understand the crazy amount of advertisement we are bombarded with today since so much is funded mostly on advertising...but I don't understand it when it is something I am paying A LOT of money for.

The only thing the ads might be good for is coupons/discounts/deals from the select companies I want. Even then it would probably be abused.

I also don't get why companies and advertisers seem to think we actually want our lives polluted with their crap. Just cause I love a product doesn't mean I want to see/hear/read/ about it every waking moment!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Last time I checked a company was in business to make money...[/citation]

And last time i checked, a Company also made the right choices (sometimes) towards it's customers.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I wonder how Microsoft is going to handle the inevitable crashing/overheating of their phones?
It was clear they were moving away from the blue screen of death when they went red on the crapbox360, so I don't know like a purple crown or something this time... you know, to try and make people feel like they're going to win a prize or something when their phone craps out.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Last time I checked a company was in business to make money...[/citation]You don't make money without offering quality products. If you want to make quality products, you need to know what people want and you better make it to suite their needs. It goes hand in hand. If you don't know how to make good phones, don't make them.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I've yet to see or hear anyone from MSFT articulate a compelling argument for Windows Phone 7 over iOS, Android, etc. Given their track record of delivering mediocre and--frankly--boring mobile devices, why do they anticipate WP7 being a hot holiday item? If they have any future in mobile, it would seem to be a business-oriented device competing more with RIM's Blackberry than Apple's iPhone or Google's Droid. I just don't see room in the consumer market for another competitor unless MSFT has something truly revolutionary--which doesn't seem to be the case. At best, what they will release is a functional, well-refined device, but not something that really does anything that existing phones can't already do.

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I don't think you can find a mobile OS that won't push ads to the devices. Sooner or later, they (MS,Apple,Google,etc.) all do or will do the same thing. The most important part is whether they provide you a way to opt-out or you have to receive it regardless...

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The whole point of these ad's are to allow more devs able to afford to make apps for your phone for cheep or even free. The ads are unlike googles in that they wont be 90% scam sites and like noted above, are geared toward apps you already use and can opt in or out. Bashing Microsoft for an OS that is not released yet and has so much potential behind it is just retarded. Android had a rough launch and now its a really good OS, and it has Ads. iOS4 is a better version of an already good os for the iPhone, and it has ads too.

Ad's done the correct way can be a nice little addition to getting devs coverage that offer things you might not have known about in the first place. Not to be intrusive and annoying like they have been in the past and on TV/Radio.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]walt526[/nom]I've yet to see or hear anyone from MSFT articulate a compelling argument for Windows Phone 7 over iOS, Android, etc. Given their track record of delivering mediocre and--frankly--boring mobile devices, why do they anticipate WP7 being a hot holiday item? If they have any future in mobile, it would seem to be a business-oriented device competing more with RIM's Blackberry than Apple's iPhone or Google's Droid. I just don't see room in the consumer market for another competitor unless MSFT has something truly revolutionary--which doesn't seem to be the case. At best, what they will release is a functional, well-refined device, but not something that really does anything that existing phones can't already do.[/citation]

- Better user interface than either android or ios4 (or BB for that matter)

- Minimum spec requirements ensure that every device will make best use of the mobile OS..instead of having some phones that can handle the OS and some that can't

- connectivity to XBOX live, something no other phone has

- Zune music player included in the phone (other than the iPhone no one else is close in providing a better music experience)

- They have stated that they will provide support for Flash soon after initial release....only android does that as of right now

- microsoft exchange...nuff said

- easy syncing with any windows computer

So yeah the mobile OS is better than you give it credit for, as long as they come out with compelling apps and market it properly this phone will be a success in fact i feel bad for RIM they will probably be a casualty...i remember when people were saying the same thing about windows 7 and the first XBOX and both of those turned out to be huge successes

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to list those. My initial reaction to each as it relates to me, as a prospective smartphone buyer:

1) "Better UI" seems pretty subjective given that there isn't a consensus pick among smartphone users of existing interfaces (anecdotally, it seems that it's whatever the particular user is used to using).

2) This isn't really an issue for iPhones and BB's. It has been an issue with some of the lesser Droid phones (simple solution for users being don't buy a cheap smartphone--which I wouldn't, if I were going to get a smartphone).

3) I personally don't own an XBOX and couldn't care less about this.

4) Aren't there Droid apps that deliver a solid MP3 player?

5) I do agree that lack of Flash support is a major drawback of iOS and BB.

6) Every smartphone OS on the market right now that I know of (Android, iOS, BB, webOS) supports MSFT ActiveSync. What will WP7 be able to do that these others can't?

7) This is probably more of a key feature for users who are apprehensive for storing files in a cloud service, like Dropbox.

On whole, I see the potential for it to compete fiercely with BB for corporate users (particularly if there features of MSFT Exchange that can only be utilized by the WP7). But, aside from the XBOX Live (which has limited appeal, IMHO), I'm not seeing very much that it offers consumers that isn't already available from at least one of the existing smartphone platforms.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]MS has already toyed with the idea of ads on your desktop too, Oh yeah, MS you suck.[/citation]

If MSFT does that, then they'll just wind up eroding their OS marketshare.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Wait .. is that going to screw with peoples data plan ?
ok . let me get this straight ... I buy phone, contract, dataplan, and you are going to use THAT data path for pushing ads on MY phone ? I DON"T THINK SO !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.