Windows problem after using old USB stick

polariceman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
It seems my old usb stick has caused a problem with my windows 10 or so it seems. Two problems that appeared after the first boot since the usb was plugged in...

A message pops up when i log into windows saying bad image. Tells me a file called avguix.exe is old or corrupt. The other problem is that my taskbar restarts itself when i try to use file manager.

I have tried a complete clean of avg(didint work) and reinstalled my gpu drivers. Scanned windows using sfc /scannow in com prompt while in safe mode, it found nothing wrong. I've also tried a few other methods for fixing the taskbar with no luck.

I am doing a malware scan the now to see if it could be software from the usb thats casued the problem? Really not sure what to do next. Any help or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Solution

Thinks for the suggestions.

Turns out it was AVG that...
What was the nature of the old usb stick - some bootable recovery drive perhaps? Or just data?

First about avguix.exe - just for background information. No need to download or run any product "plugs".

http://www.file.net/process/avguix.exe.html

Task bar restarting. Look at the system start settings - Taskbar may appear to restart but something could be being launched twice.

Have you also checked through the taskbar settings?

Type "Taskbar settings" into the "Ask me anything" window. Select Taskbar settings.

Verify that the current settings are what you have established or otherwise expect.

Try uninstalling and reintalling File Manager (Softonic version?)

polariceman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Thinks for the suggestions.

Turns out it was AVG that was the problem. By the looks of add/remove programs there was two versions install for some reason. I used the AVG remover tool thinking that would clear all AVG stuff, it did not. I resorted to going into safe mode and manually deleted AVG folders and registry files.

Oddly enough my PC is running faster now!

Solution