Windows xp doesnt recognize ipaq

zprise

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hello,
I plugged my pcc into my laptop which runs on vista. everything works fine besides the fact that you cannot synchronize contacts and the likes since vista doesnt have outlook. however when I plugged the ipaq pcc into a second laptop running on xp, i heard a beep indicating something happened but still the laptop didnt work or recognize the pcc at all

do you need to install drivers in order for the ipaq to work on xp? have you checked the ipaq website for information?

you said you heard a beep (the sound of connected hardware) but did you look to see if the device was listed in my computer? if not was it listed elsewhere? system information perhaps or devices.

what exactly are you trying to do with the device? browse it like a portable HDD? other than that, usually software is required for more advanced integration.

zprise

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Thanx.
The ppc as I understood was supposed to be automatically recognized by windows xp for file synchronizing purposes. An automated sync control application is suppose to start. However, not only can I not synchronize, I can't even manually transfer files.

i've never used ppc devices myself but perhaps it acts similar to smartphones in that yes they will sync with your computer but no it is usually not quite as simple as just plugging the device in.

at the bare minimum you can usually use your device as a disk drive. remember that you need to enable this in your devices settings. once you do this then every time you connect you can manually transfer files. i know on my phone i have to manually toggle disk mode on ever plug in (or it defaults to charge only).

if you install the software/driver package that comes with the device you should be able to start up a program and do all your automatic syncing. i know some programs on my phone are capable of auto-syncing with MSO but since i dont use MSO for such things i've never tried. i'd guess that i would need to manually start the sync process.

as i said before, it would be wise to check your product manual and website for information regarding your particular device. if that fails (and all else fails) you can try their tech support.