windows8 on acer aspire 9810 laptop.

redlabar

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
dl and tried to upgrade from win7 to win8 .Dl from Microsoft both on usbstick, and direct install. it installs fine , it seems and comes to its first reboot. pc powers down and restart, passes bios and thats it, sit there with black screen and nothing more happens, any idea ?

Ps i have the latest bios for this laptop installed.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I have that model and I have Windows 7 on it. It came with Windows Vista. I haven't tried to install Windows 8. I know Windows 8 uses the new UEFI which replaces the old BIOS. According to this article the machines firmware must support UEFI for Windows 8. I looked at the last firmware update for the 9810 and it was 2008. So it may not work.

redlabar

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014

Yes I read about that, but just before win8 went gold MS asured us that we still was able to install win8 on older pc.If this UEFI shit willbe more and more used all 3 party soft will dissappear i think.But thx for answer, my 9810 is very little used, so as long as it runs win7 I will keep on trying to get win8 on it, on way or the other
regard
arne

redlabar

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
First of all, I know my 9810 came with xp, and was WindowsVista Premium Ready. I installed vista without any problem, and I have been running win7 ultimate since it came out, and it installs without any problem, you can can do it in asleep :)
Its just win8 that wont run, I cloned a win8 hd, and that wont run either, comes with an errormsg that is so quick that its impossible to read: Your Pc cant...... is all i get.

arne

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Mine came with Vista and I made the recovery Vista disks. Installing Windows 7 wasn't a breeze on mine but it did finally work. I don't believe the camera driver works though. I gave it to a friend and they use it daily to search web. The thing is a beast and the battery is completely dead. In fact if power is lost it won't boot. After taking it in the first time this happened and they said it was the memory and not mobo. Well in playing around with it I found out that after the system turns off after a power loss i have to remove a stick of ram and boot it again. It will boot successfully then i shut it down and add the ram back and it boots fine with it's 4 gb of ram. That machine has survived everything over the years. I like the brand so much my next laptop was also an Acer As 8950 G 18.4" screen. Currently their is only 1 laptop with a screen bigger then 18.4" and thats the Alienware 18.

redlabar

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
that uefi aint right i have installed win8 on 2 old pc , and they have normally old fashion bios, i have cam driver for win7, well i have several, but cant rem which of them working, yes this is a weird pc, been through same shit as you to get it start sometimes, seems like it last for ever, but when installing i always pull out some ram and one of the hd.s

arne