WinRAR, WinZip, etc. Which program?

SyncroScales

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi. I don't know which forum to place this in.

I am considering buying WinRAR. I was wondering if there is another program or a freeware/open-sourced software program that does the same thing. Pay or free.

I am mostly using these programs for opening and uncompressing files. There are times where I might compress files, but not as much.

I was wondering if there is a need to have the most up to date unzipping, unraring, etc software? Do the files, extenstions or compression/uncompression processes change? Eg: If I had old zip or rar, etc files from 10 years ago, will they be recognized in the newer versions of the software?

Thanks.

Solution
If you are gonna pay for it - hands down - WinZip. I am upgrading every other version, and there is nothing it cannot uncompress (.zip, .rar, .7z, .tar/.tgz).

WinRar has very ugly user interface, and tries to go everywhere without asking.

SyncroScales

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I ended up going with BandiZip. I bought BandiCam for screen capture. I also bought two licenses since I found BandiZip and it's free, I was not sure if I could buy or needed another license for my laptop, but I went with it.

I found out about 7zip which is freeware and open-sourced software.

PeaZip, JZip, TurboZip, etc on cnet.com - dwonloads: http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=unzip&platform=Windows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile%2CLinux&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&platform=Windows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile%2CLinux

Thanks BSOD BSTD and Alabalcho.