Solved! Wire to RCA for Subwoofer

cannond1396

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018
Hi guys, merry christmas everybody!

So I have a very old subwoofer that my parents aren't using anymore until they decided to switch to a soundbar and new subwoofer that pairs with the soundbar for their Bravia 4k flatscreen TV a couple of years ago. The old subwoofer I have is an Infinity Extra One which looks something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-5-1-HOME-THEATER-SPEAKER-SET-ENTRA-ONE-TWO-SUB-SURROUND-SOUND-MADE-USA/362513617275?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D8df178219464405eb5002a55dde4dcb7%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D323596510497%26itm%3D362513617275&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109 hopefully you guys can see this before this goes away.

[Alternative pictures] https://www.hifishark.com/model/infinity-entra-one

Since this is wires only, is it possible to connect this to a "wire to RCA adapter"? I have a C/Sub jack on the back of my motherboard as well as a mic in, line out, and a line in plug. I already have my speakers connected to a line out plug, but since it feels like is missing a bass, I was thinking about buying a new subwoofer but they are pretty expensive and I am looking for a cheap solution for like less than $10-$20 bucks.

Any possible solution to this would be great! I just know that the subwoofer still works and sounds good from my experience and would love to continue using it until someday I upgrade to better speakers. For now, I am just on a tight budget.

Solution
It sounds like you have a mainboard that includes 5.1 surround sound audio capabilty. Usually the connectors are line level outputs that you can’t connect directly to a home stereo speaker or sub. They need to connect to an external amplifier or powered speakers.

It looks like the Infinity Entra 1 subwoofer has a line level input using a simple RCA plug. This would be the input to use. You can then use a stereo 3.5mm to dual RCA plug cable to connect mainboard’s Center/Sub 3.5mm jack to that RCA Line Level plug on the back of the sub. You’ll only use one of the two RCA plugs, one is for the sub and the other is for the center channel. There’s one on Amazon for $9:

AmazonBasics 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter Cable - 8 Feet...

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
It sounds like you have a mainboard that includes 5.1 surround sound audio capabilty. Usually the connectors are line level outputs that you can’t connect directly to a home stereo speaker or sub. They need to connect to an external amplifier or powered speakers.

It looks like the Infinity Entra 1 subwoofer has a line level input using a simple RCA plug. This would be the input to use. You can then use a stereo 3.5mm to dual RCA plug cable to connect mainboard’s Center/Sub 3.5mm jack to that RCA Line Level plug on the back of the sub. You’ll only use one of the two RCA plugs, one is for the sub and the other is for the center channel. There’s one on Amazon for $9:

AmazonBasics 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter Cable - 8 Feet

You’ll need to convince your audio driver settings that you are running that sub. I have no idea what your settings might look like for that. A lot of the time the driver will popup a dialog asking what you’ve plugged in. You are trying to do a 2.1 setup if that is an option.

Solution

cannond1396

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018

Hi Marlin, so I am considering buying an adapter on amazon, but before I do, would you happen to know what kind of cable is this? I could just plug in the cable from this end and convert it to a 3.5mm adapter. I don't need to do any fancy wiring or anything like that. Here is my image I took so that you can see what my cable looks like. It is the same thing on the other end of that cable which is why I would like to have a whatever is on this end "called" to a 3.5mm adapter.

[Picture ------> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/i-Lvi7-OEEay_YgSIDYzTU0M7A_YMgU2bFNUbX9e9gSV_6G1dEL0cGX5BkBEWab0d9S70Pg=w271]

What type of cable is this, is the question.

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

I can’t open the picture. Error says “forbidden”. The cable I referred you to at Amazon seems to be the one you need for the subwoofer you say you have. I spent some time looking up a user manual for it.