cspkcats

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
All,

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question, so I apologize in advance if it isn't. I'm very new to things like Raspberry Pi and other SOC hardware and the world of Linux and have had some experience in VB programming.

I'm basically looking to build something that uses a store bought water leak detector and set it up wirelessly in a way that does the following:

• A base station (could be a Windows PC) constantly pings the detector to verify that it is up and running and stores the data in a .csv log
    When a water leak is detected, the base station immediately sends out an email to me and let's out an audible alarm
    I want to have the ability to later add components to this setup, for instance, a temperature monitor

I've looked on the internet, but couldn't find anything that was easy for a beginner or specific to my circumstances, so I wanted to reach out to the community to see if (a) this is something that might be worth pursuing (b) what hardware should I be looking at? I've only looked at Raspberry Pi, but there may be something else out there that's a better option (c)Are there any tutorials for beginners

I understand what you are looking for. These types of systems are used for detecting water leaks in a residential/industrial/commercial building.

Do your project in two parts. First design or buy the leak detecting part. Fortunately, water leaks fill up containers (basements) gradually; unlike a flood (no defense against a flood). Test your system and satisfy yourself that the device/system is functional. Since there is not a big commercial market for such devices, this will be hard to find. That's why you can successfully design and build your own. Use low voltage (12 V) with battery backup for your device. Using a commercially available detector of some sort and modifying it to suit your needs will give you a head start. Do some FMEA on your design.

The second part of the project will be to connect the output signal to a suitable wireless transmitter. This part is commercially available.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS