cooledwhip

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hey guys, I am currently trying to set up a home theater system. I have a 48 inch Sony flatscreen that I have been watching TV on for a while, but it just gets kinda hard to watch the TV or play video games with it, because it's not that big. A couple of my friends have theatres set up where they have a projector hooked up to their TV, XBOX 360, and even computer. I haven't talked to them in a while so I couldn't ask them for help.

I have a brick wall on one side of my family room, which is the only clear wall that I can project on, everything else has furniture on it or windows. I was thinking of putting a drape or shades that are used to pull down to cover windows over the brick wall, (it will probably go over the fireplace that is at the bottom of the brick wall but I wouldn't use the projector while the fire was going anyway because it wouldn't be dark enough for the image to be seen)

Would my plan work out as of what you have heard? I have a wooden beam going across the ceiling, which I could use to attach the projector too.

So now that you know a little more about my home theater plan, I have some questions.
1. Can I watch TV and movies and stuff on the projector without the TV being on? It would be distracting watching the projector while having the TV on as well, (in my opinion)
2. Can I hook it up to my Xbox and play video games on the projector?

3. Could you help me choose a projector? I know nothing about choose one and therefore, I came to the tech support forums. So please help and support me

Solution
Doesn't look like there's a lot of space between the wall and the projector mount beam. You're probably going to need to look for a "Short Throw" projector where the short throw distance (distance between the lens and screen) will still provide a large viewing image. Since you didn't state a budget or actual dimensions, I can't be of more help.

Take a look at Short Throw projectors at Projector Central. Also get familiar with their Projection Calculator.

-Wolf sends
1) Yes, so long as your TV Video source (such as a cable company set top box) has multiple outputs, one of which being compatible with your projector's inputs

2) Yes, provided the projector has multiple inputs and at least one available input is compatible with your XBox output.

3) Budget and room dimensions?

I started my home theater using a blanket between the window and a white-ish pull down shade, so what you're proposing should work, though I'd probably go (for starters), just a plain white bed sheet. If it's within your budget, I'd definitely go with a pull down screen.

What projector you get is going to depend on your budget and the room dimensions. Obviously, the more you have to spend, the better your viewing experience is going to be. I've probably put about $2500 into my current set up (HTPC with cablecard TV Tuner, Optoma HD20 Projector, Elite Screens 120" manual pull down screen, Onkyo HT-S3200 5.1 surround sound system).

-Wolf sends

Doesn't look like there's a lot of space between the wall and the projector mount beam. You're probably going to need to look for a "Short Throw" projector where the short throw distance (distance between the lens and screen) will still provide a large viewing image. Since you didn't state a budget or actual dimensions, I can't be of more help.

Take a look at Short Throw projectors at Projector Central. Also get familiar with their Projection Calculator.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Sep 3, 2014
Hi, I checked with the pics, and i totally agree to Wolfshadw for short throw projector. check below reply to your queries

Your questions:
1. Can I watch TV and movies and stuff on the projector without the TV being on? It would be distracting watching the projector while having the TV on as well, (in my opinion)
Ans: Yes, this can be accomplished if your DTH/set top box should have two HDMI connections ports, so you connect one to TV and other to Projector. If set top box have only one hdmi out and then other old red green yellow ports, it will work but you will get less resolution on TV or projector with which u connect.
2. Can I hook it up to my Xbox and play video games on the projector?
Ans: Yes, today's new generation projectors are designed as gaming being one of the serious application for projectors. Need to check xbox and other gaming console support from projector spects before buying.

3. Could you help me choose a projector? I know nothing about choose one and therefore, I came to the tech support forums. So please help and support me
Ans: If you are brand conscious then check LG LED projector and if you are technology conscious and want best of technology and features then check Luxcine Z2000SD, they have mind bogging features. You can search them on ebay or youtube. They have support for X-box and all major gaming consoles.