Would 12gb ram (4 + 8 configuration) work on the Dell inspiron 15r 5537?

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Hi!

So, I know this problem has been documented to death across forums, but just wanted to get any opinions for this specific laptop. (just in case anyone has tried it and come away alive :p ).

My laptop currently has 6gb of ram (combination of a 4gb stick and a 2gb stick). I wanna replace the 2gb stick with either another 4gb stick or an 8gb stick. (I can't really afford 2 sticks of any capacity right now).

I read the specifications manual for this laptop and it said that the "compatible configurations" were: 2, 4, 6, 8 & 16 gb.

In that light, would 12gb (by combining my existing 4gb stick with an 8gb stick) work?

If not what's the worst that could go wrong? And how much of a performance drop would I see from going single channel with just the 8gb stick?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
"what's the worst that could go wrong? And how much of a performance drop would I see from going single channel with just the 8gb stick?"

You're laptop is already operating in single-channel mode for the RAM, since the two RAM modules currently installed are different capacities, so using a single 8GB module will make no difference in that respect.

Dual-channel mode requires both modules to be a matched pair, and that includes their capacities.

But to answer your first question, any combination of the capacities you've listed should work.

The worst that can happen is failure to boot and beeps from the BIOS indicating a RAM issue.
Nothing you can't fix.
"what's the worst that could go wrong? And how much of a performance drop would I see from going single channel with just the 8gb stick?"

You're laptop is already operating in single-channel mode for the RAM, since the two RAM modules currently installed are different capacities, so using a single 8GB module will make no difference in that respect.

Dual-channel mode requires both modules to be a matched pair, and that includes their capacities.

But to answer your first question, any combination of the capacities you've listed should work.

The worst that can happen is failure to boot and beeps from the BIOS indicating a RAM issue.
Nothing you can't fix.

Solution