Would it be worth holding off on a MS Surface Book until they deal with the heat issues?

suihcteg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
My old laptop kept slowing down, so I threw an old operating system on it and gave it to a family member. I ended up getting a Surface Book, because the tablet screen works perfectly on a music stand. But, if I run any intensive programs or even some of the cheesy apps on the app store, the screen gets so hot that people were saying it hurt holding the tablet. You'd think something that expensive wouldn't have those issues. Is the heat something you just gotta accept with the Surface line? Or I'd be better off returning it and waiting for them to fix the heat issues?

I saw a pretty cool looking HP Specter 2-in-1 laptop with an i7 processor, 4K display and 16GB of RAM. That would still give me tablet functionality. Does that seem like it would be a good alternative to the Surface Book? The only thing that worries me though is it seems like it might be precarious putting a full-size widescreen laptop in portrait mode on a music stand.

I really like the Surface Book, but I'm not sure that something that can get that hot will last as long as it should, and if people are saying "ouch!" when they touch the screen, it's clearly too hot. And looking around the net, it's not an uncommon problem. I don't want to have to treat such an expensive device like fine China.

suihcteg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I'm happy with the device, I'm just worried that it won't last as long as it should. And a touchscreen clearly shouldn't get hot enough for people to say "ouch", in an air conditioned room. If it boils down to "here are the keys to your high-end car, now be sure to never take it on the freeway," it isn't worth it. I might want to play a game once in awhile are run some audio or music programs, after all.

coolerbob

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Hi Suihcteg

Hopefully you did the smart thing and held back on buying one. I was so exited to buy one myself - as, on paper, it is the single device on the market that provides me with all the tech I need. When I get one one day, it will become my true and final paper replacement tool. But for now, I still use MS OneNote on my iPad and let OneNote do what it does so well by syncing to the cloud and hence to my Dell Latop and Android phone.

When I went into the shop and tried to use it for the first time, I too realised just how uncomfortably hot the screen immediately gets as soon as you begin to use it. Personally, I will hold back from buying a surfacebook until Microsoft address such a major issue.

Hopefully in this next release soon, they will have addressed it:
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/surface-pro-5-release-date-news-and-rumors-1316294

But I haven't seen anything published that says that they have :(

I'm itching to buy one, but, like you, I feel that this is a complete waste of money until Microsoft resolve such a fundamental issue.