Xbox 360 Could be Banned for Motorola Patent Infringement

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
This patent infringement trolling is a no-win game for everyone involved. I'm sure the lawyers are doing their best to keep their clients from realizing it, but it's apparent to anyone paying attention. Everyone in the technology sector is violating somebody else's patent somewhere, usually without even knowing it since it would require an absurd investment of time and other resources to make absolutely certain you're not.

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Well it might make Microsoft step up their efforts to release a new console. I think the concept of banning the xbox from sale over something as small as the wireless controller relay is a bit silly. I think they say that sometimes for effect

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Look at all the Microsoft haters. So bitter.

It's not about the infringement. Microsoft didn't even debate if they were using the technology (like Google does with Android). Motorola is intentionally setting a price on the patents that they know won't be accepted (and giving 20 days to decide? A lawyer can't tie shoes in that amount of time) so that they'll have leverage in the areas where they've stolen technology.

Put it this way. Microsoft pays 6.5 million in royalties for 2,339 separate patents for H.264. Motroloa is asking for $4 BILLION for just 50 patents.

They want $4 in royalties for a $3 microchip.

These are industry standard patents. Part of the standards body accepting them as a standard is a requirement that they license to anyone in reasonable terms.

Such haters.

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
"...But in a unforeseen twist President Obama stated today that he is an avid "gamer" of the halo series and takes pride at backshooting and camping his fellow American youngsters in his free time. So the ban is off" I think we all can agree Motorola wouldn't loose that much business due to popularity anyway.

G

lol, MSFT buys MOTO, now STFU MOTO before MSFT shuts down your entire Schuamburg, Illinois headquarters.

MSFT will settle, don't worry about your precious Xbox360s, there will be plenty to go around. MOTO is just trying to get a large payday, their lawyers (and/or the judges they have bought off) are doing a good job.

G

Does anyone else smell a price increase from Sony coming? They are the winners in all of this...even if it doesn't end up getting banned, who's going to buy one before the final deliberation. Any potential buyers this late in the game (new or replacement) are just as likely to pay anything sony asks for to get a console that won't be banned. Even if Wii's were free, I couldn't see current Xbox360 users or potential users migrating to it.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I would like to Patent the idea of Patents, Anyone who makes a Patent. I WILL SUE YOU!

Is Scientology be hide all these Patents and suing? i'm so... fucking confused!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]robopolo[/nom]All I have to say is....The Playstation 3 and the Wii will not suffice my needs.... Xbox 360 FTW!!![/citation]

the only thing the xbox 360 wins at is ripping off their entire user base with their shoddy console and have the ability of making people pay for things that are free everywhere else.

just like apple MS has found a way to find every sucker in the world to give them loads of cash

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
How about we all just build PCs and game on them? If you haven't bought a 360 yet, there's really no point in doing it now when the next one is scheduled for release in the upcoming year.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
First of all, those who already own the xbox 360 don't have a thing to worry about. M$ will probably have to pay back licensing fees (maybe with some healthy punitive damages). As far as the unsold stuff, that's just too bad they f'd up now it looks like they will have to eat the equipment they have in stock both here and in China. If they do quick design something based on bluetooth, they still have to remanufacture those machines even if it is modular, that will cost alot. For all the times that M$ has gone after little guys to enforce some obscure patent, they deserve what they get. Now if the FTC and Obama can just so the guts to carry it out!

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]JimmyJohnz[/nom]How about we all just build PCs and game on them? If you haven't bought a 360 yet, there's really no point in doing it now when the next one is scheduled for release in the upcoming year.[/citation]

I think you'd be surprised at the number of people out there still using PS2's and original xbox's. Most places that sell xbox 360 and PS3 software also sell PS2 titles.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]The conspiracy theorist in me believes Microsoft secretly wants the "current" Xbox 360 banned by the government. Then it would release the "legal" Xbox 360 using a different wireless technology (possibly bluetooth) with accessories that are incompatible with the "banned" version. Everyone would have to buy hardware all over again to play the games they already own. People will blame Microsoft. Microsoft will just say "hey...don't look at us...Motorola (and Google) sued us and Obama signed off on it."[/citation]
At least if it was bluetooth, we could get reasonably priced 3rd party wireless controllers.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't see the point of a "ban" on what is now an old console. A 720 released with back compatibility would stop any gain by Motorola since they seem to be complaining about the xbox taking their market share (a somehwat spurious argument in rich America). Surely Motorola should be asking for money for each one sold plus expenses.

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Love the comments that imply it's great when Microsoft are sued on ridiculous terms and should pay up for "stealing" IP, but Microsoft themselves are not allowed to sue when people steal their own IP...

Settle out of court at a reasonable price and stop trying to ban a product that hasn't got much life left anyway. Motorola are unreasonable for demanding the price, Microsoft are unreasonable for not paying the license fees up front years ago. In summary, all technology companies are the same, some are just bigger than others and have had longer to foster a crowd of haters.

G

X-box needs to stay in the US, how about the troops over in Iraq or Afghanistan who play Modern Warfare 3 online.

Status
Not open for further replies.