Xbox 360 vs. PS3: The Smacktalk Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Longevity....the long delayed and uber expensive PS3? LOL
Nice Sony, keep trying to avoid your own failures by continuing to sell the PS2 to fill in the GAP of disappointment over the PS3 dismal third place sales.

G

It's not a bug, it's a feature. LOL...

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do"

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I believe the fact that many PS3 games are only released in Japan/Asia and not outside may have contributed to the perception that PS3 lacks support.

G

It's like someone copy/pasta'd the last three articles from this site and topic into one and their editor loved it even more!

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Is Sony really that full of themselves?? On top of that they purposely made their console hard to program for. I'm now happy I purchased an XBox 360.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
im happy i didn't purchase the crashbox 360 as i don't feel like replacing the system under warranty every couple months. hell the 8-bit nintendo hardware was more reliable than MS failure. im glad i spent the extra money for the PS3 to get a console that I know is reliable

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I find it odd that people consider the PS3 to be such a failure when they've sold faster than the 360.

~20 million consoles over 2 years (10 million a year) versus ~28 million over 3 years (9 million a year). *source VGChartz*

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do.

Wow, to just come out and say that to the media, wow, that dude's got balls.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I bought a PS3 the day it was released here in EDM,Canada…I now own a PS3, 360 and a Wii.

I like PS3 more then the others. To be frank, I don't care who has sold more units or who has a larger Penis.

My Son plays PS3 - 75%, Wii - 20% and only plays the 360 if one of his friends is playing online and he wants in the action..5%

At this point I think people buy the 360 over a PS3 because it is cheaper, and everyone has one. Not because it is actually the better unit… which it is not.

---------------------------------------------
I bet some 360 fanboy places a negative on this comment… even though everything mentioned is 100% opinionated and cannot be incorrect.

G

Sony has a year less in the market, and the 360 has already been exploited to the maximum with GoW2, so maybe 360ers will see the reality by the end of 2009. PS3 RULES and its gona RULE MORE. BTW I had read The last paragraph 3 times in other articles.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]TIndytim[/nom]I find it odd that people consider the PS3 to be such a failure when they've sold faster than the 360.~20 million consoles over 2 years (10 million a year) versus ~28 million over 3 years (9 million a year). *source VGChartz*[/citation]

Lol, someone gave me a -1 for listing sales numbers? Are there than many Xbots on Tom's?

G

The PS3 is better than the 360, however the 360 is cheaper.
There are tons of features in the PS3 than any other console.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Is there anything more boring than pseudo-politically-correct smacktalk? I want to read about how a Sony CEO calls the 360 community a bunch of fricken noobs who's mothers are slightly less than particular when choosing their bedmates... otherwise, I'm gonna go play some halo :)

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Theoretically, PS3 should have better graphics but I have yet to see it surpass 360 in the graphics department. 360 has a good online service BUT it's not free and for a paid service, it's simply horrible. So I give PS3 an edge in the online department since it's at least free. PS3 also gets an edge since it has better features such as Blu-Ray, built-in Wi-Fi, standard hard drive, etc. 360 has better games, especially multiplayer games, but it's debatable which system has better exclusives. 360 definitely has a better controller. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'd say PS3 is a better value than the 360. But 360 usually has better and more refined games. PS3 multiplatform games are usually inferior to the 360 versions.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
This thread is like deja-vu.

I like Sony but their "smack-talk" smacks of "We're #3, We're #3!!!".

If Sony Stretches the PS3 to a 10 year lifespan then Microsoft will OWN the high end console market and even Nintendo will have a more powerful platform with their next console... the "Wii-wii".

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The reason that the 360 sells better is because they have the best games library. The reason the PS3 sold better than the original xbox was again because of games. In the end, the games are what sells the console. Why would I buy a PS3 when there are only a handful of decent games and the 360 has most of them and a whole bunch of much better exclusives? Sure the PS3 is more powerful, but who cares when the games suck. All said, I still play games on my PC about 95+% of the time and rarely touch my console.

If it wasn't for the dreaded RROD, xbox would have blown away Sony. Of course if its wasn't for the included Blu-ray player, Sony might have beaten M$ by being the same price and the more reliable of the 2.

bunnyblaster

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I love a good catfight with video game console executives. It shows how out of touch some of them (specifically SONY) is with the world.

noahjwhite

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Ack... more fighting words... I own all three systems and have since day one. I own 2 Xbox 360's. Here's the truth as I see it on these systems.

1. PS3 -

Pro's: Blu-Ray movies, Awesome DVD Upconversion, Solid Video processing all around for supported Codecs. Solid 5.1 audio, relatively quiet. Has a few worthwhile exclusives. Built in WI-FI (although I still prefer wired)

Con's: Blu-Ray increases loading time in games. Multi-platform games tend to play & look better on the Xbox. Online multiplayer is poorly implemented. Six Axis controller is crap. Blu-Tooth implementation is stupid, and the lack of IR means you have to buy an IR adapter to use with Universal Remotes. Only supports Fat32 file formats for external devices meaning you can't playback large video files and can't connect your ipod. The user interface is pretty awful. ALL of the add-on apps are poorly done (like the internet browser)

PS3 Wins = HD playback and Upconversion of other Sources.

Xbox 360=

Pro's: Games load faster, more A+ exclusive titles, much better user interface, Multi-platform games play and look better (in general), better controller (in fact, the best in my opinion) Excellent HD-DVD playback (yeah I have that too). Decent playback of supported video files. Support for HFS+ format so you can playback HD quality MP4 movies and connect your iPod (I don't have an iPod) Standard IR receiver that works exceedingly well with universal remotes. Xbox Live, yes it cost's $5 a month, or $3 if you buy a card from amazon. But the service blows away the competition. Netflix streaming video. Awesome integration with Windows Media Center.

Con's:

Reliability? I hear a lot of people have problems but I have never had any problems with either of mine, nor do I know anyone personally that has had a problem. First gen model is noisy. Newest gen is actually quieter than my PS3(gen1). No way to hook up HDMI and Toslink cables without taking the plastic off the adapter casing. Does not upconvert non-HD sources nearly as well as the PS3. Proprietary memory cards. No built in wireless.

Wins: = Streaming Video, Gaming.

Wii:
Pro's: It's small, it's quiet, motion control has some potential. Comes bundled with a good game. Built in Wi-Fi. Uses SD cards for memory. It has a few good games. Nice backlog of downloadable legacy games.

Con's: Hardware is a generation behind, graphics are terrible, most games are worthless, media playback is nonexistent and/or terrible.
Best resolution is 480P. Doesn't come with component cable. Wired sensor that has to sit on top/bottom of TV. Lack of wired Ethernet connection.

Wins: Marketing. Introducing new people to gaming. Making gaming less dorky to outsiders.

PC:

Pro's: PC is still pretty much the God of Gaming.
Con's: Cost's at least twice as much as any other platform. Some console ports have been pretty weak lately (GTA IV).

Wins: Multitasking, Customization, Graphics, Sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.